Will i be allowed to bring my crocheting needle & yarn on the airplane ?

I am traveling in 5 weeks from now from Wisconsin to Panama, visit family.
My flight there is going to be almost 11hour flight and than on way back it will be a 14hour flight. layovers are going to be 2-3hour long between flights.

I love crocheting, and i figure be good to keep me busy while waiting on every layover as well while flying. I use is a .75 mm steel crochet hook, am crocheting pineapple lace's, patterns, and all that fun stuff.
And I am wondering if anyone knows if i can bring my crocheting tools, such as the crocheting hook and yarn into airplane? I am going international, i dont know if that would make a difference too.
anyone knows?

Thanks in advance!

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 2:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2013 in Travel

• TSA site states: "In general, you may place your knitting needles and needlepoint tools in carry-on or checked baggage. Circular thread cutters or any other cutter or needlepoint tools that contain blades must be placed in checked baggage. You are permitted to keep scissors smaller than 4 inches in your carry-on baggage. Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane." The

TSA also has a mobile app that you can download to search for any items you want to check are allowed.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:57 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Wow, probably not. You might check the TSA Web site for sure, but I'd be surprised if you were allowed on the plane with a crochet needle. Do you like something else such as crossword puzzles or reading? I think books and pencils are sill allowed on planes--for now, at least. Have a great trip!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:42 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Call the airport and ask them. I doubt they will allow it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• They let my cousin when she went from Denver to La. However on the way back, LA made her throw them away.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I bring my knitting needles all the time and have never had a problem. Do not bring scissors, even small ones have been known to be confiscated. I bring a floss box which is a perfect way to cut thread or thinner yarn.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:19 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Yes, I bring my knitting on all the time. Never had a problem
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I haven't had a problem with crochet needles. Just no scissors.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Nope, basically you don't bring anything any more. They will find something wrong with it. Just stick it in your suitcase to be safe than sorry
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 12:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Thanks everyone for feedback.
    Thanks for the link hellokittykat.
    20_mama_3

Comment by 20_mama_3 (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2013