How old do you have to be and/or how many kids do you have to have before i will qualify to get my tubes tied?

I ask because I am 25 and have one child and I have been told by other mothers that they will not tie my tubes unless I meet certain age, and children count qualifications, that is unless it is medically suggested.

Sarah W.

Asked by Sarah W. at 1:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• The way you find out is to ask your Dr. and possibly get a second opinion. But remember that you should count on it being irrevesible, even though there is a possibility that they can reverse the surgery, it can fail. I am sure the Dr. will want you to be absolutely without a doubt.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Depends on the doctor. Depends on the state. Depends on your individual health and situation. My husband got his vasectomy a couple of weeks after his 26th birthday (Snip, Snip! Happy Birthday Honey!) and the day after our second child was born. We were very clear that we did not want more children and that I would not be able or willing to carry another pregnancy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I didn't know that it would be an issue..women get their tubes tied for many different reasons. When the Dr. talks to you about your concerns, they ask if you want it done.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Ask your doctor.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• For the army you have to be 25 or have 4 children. i am 27 with 6 children and still have to do a class and counseling before I do it...lol
    coffeeLover8

Answer by coffeeLover8 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 27, 2013