How old do you have to be and/or how many kids do you have to have before i will qualify to get my tubes tied?

I ask because I am 25 and have one child and I have been told by other mothers that they will not tie my tubes unless I meet certain age, and children count qualifications, that is unless it is medically suggested.

Sarah W.

Asked by Sarah W. at 1:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• It varies from state to state. here in Utah you either have to have 3 kids or be 27. Aldo have a medical condition hat can be passed onto the baby. Thats how I was able to get mine tied and I am going on 25 with 2 kids.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Thank you. I live in Florida, so I will try and find a site to get my question answered for my state.
    Sarah W.

Comment by Sarah W. (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Maybe try calling your OB GYN they will know for sure.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I live in FL, and had mine tied at 24 when I gave birth to my second child. I don't remember the exact requirements, but I believe it was age 21 or at least 2 kids. You should be able to just ask your gyno.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I'm not sure about FL. DD's BMom has said you have to be 25 with (I think) 2 kids to get your tubes tied.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I was almost 26 when I gave birth to my youngest. Tying my tubes was some the doctor asked me about, but I wasn't ready. I have 2 kids right now. I don't know about what the criteria are though.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Oh, and my friend has a 5 year old, a 2 year old and a 1 year old, just turned 24 and her tubes are tied.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I had mine done at 25. I was single and had 2 DD's. The doctor didn't want to do it. because I was single. He said what about your future DH?
    I said what about him. this is not for him, it is for me. It took a year of hounding. But they finally did it. 26 years later. I am happy I did it. Because if I wouldn't have I would have a 3rd with my now DH.

Answer by louise2 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• here it's 2 and 26 yrs old

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I live in Ohio. My neighbor and her DH were both 26 YO and had 4 kids. They were both refused being told they are too young
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2013