Should I get a second job?

This question is similar to the gut trusting question earlier.

I am frightened that the job that I've had for only two months is on shakey ground. Because of the economy, I lost my business and a job. I was just about to apply for a job at Walmart before I got hired where I work now. My fear now is that my current job has been in deficit numerous times since I've work there. I am fearing that my job is tempted to brink my position down to part-time (was before I started). I have experience many employers hedging away from layoff insurance
by being creative with firing reasons.

My questions is, should I work a second job to save up bail-out money if things get worse to get back to school? Or, am I being too paranoid, and risking my current position by tiring my brain out (wasting the energy and brain power that my current jobs needs)? I need money to cover debt while in school, if I decide.

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 11:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• if your current job is only part-time, then it wouldn't hurt to get another part time job. If you have problems with waisting "brain power", then your job is probably on shakey ground anyhow. It shouldn't be that draining to work the equavilent of a full time job.
    Anonymous

• Go with your gut.

I was working two jobs in December 2007 because I'd gotten an inkling that my full-time job might be gone soon. I was doing 60-hour weeks between the two jobs. By May 2008, I was let go from the full time job in a budget cutting measure. Fortunately I'd established myself well enough at the other place that they gave me more hours. The bad part was that they couldn't hire me full-time permanently...but I did find another job after that.

Moral of the story: Take the second job.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Id start your own business,maybe house cleaning or a home daycare. Also,check out my website, I work from home,and the money is good,I dont have to worry about being laid off. The economy is bad right now. Its hard for a lot of people.Good luck! You can do it!
    www.bootyparlorparties.com/davialavae
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 3:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You should always have a back up plan. Heck I am vocal about my back up plan and they still keep me around. I work in construciton and I say that I am going back to school in case I get laid off from here. Right now I am fine but there is nothing wrong with having a back up plan or another job. I went to school to get my STNA (State tested nurse assistant other states call it CNA) and once I test then it opens a whole new job market for me.

partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 7:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Check into becoming a licensed child care provider. It doesn't cost much to get your license, and with the economy, more people are going to be wanting to go to work. This means more childcare will be needed. Home daycare providers make decent money, and normally have a waiting list so you can be fairly sure your job will be consistent. If you work hard enough at it, you can make good money. Here's a website that would give you more info on what running a home daycare really takes and some good tips:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4711198_run-successful-home-daycare.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Do you feel that you have the dedication that is required to go to school? School is allway's a good option to better your education and find a better paying position . You could also cosider a online school, My daughter is going online because she has three children and works a part time job, It works out well because she can be doing her class after the children are in bed and does not require day care, Another option is join the many people who are working from home , there are several opportunities out there. There are also several people who are firing there bosses and working from home, I work out side the home part time and am working on building my own business in my spare time ,
    Amber Dickson
    http://www.freedomathometeam.com/40450197
    Amberlynn2001

Answer by Amberlynn2001 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I agree with someone up here about simply trying to take on a side housecleaning job or something small like that to help out.So you won't be so burned out and stressed but feel better with a little something extra there.
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I'm working from home, part time, and I'm clearing $500/wk. It's simple work, no sales, no investment. You can read about it at http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I think a second job could be a good thing in this economy for sure. I work one out of the home job and two work at home jobs (sometimes three).
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 2:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You should definately look into getting into something stable. I am working from home with my home business. I found out over the weekend the company I was previously with has laid off not only mine but several of the departments.
    I am so glad that I have been putting my part time efforts in a recession proof WAH business.
    If you would like to check out what I do visit my profile here on CafeMom.
    Good Luck to you.
    Granna2006

Answer by Granna2006 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009