Why are my dogs getting in the trash can and spreading the trash all over the kitchen floor and thru the hallway and laundry room?

I have a border collie and a Australian Shepard and they know not to get in the trash. Their food bowl always has food available for them to eat because they don't over eat and aren't overweight. My mom had been living with me for several months because she had a stroke and my sister had surgery so I was taking care of mommy. My mom had went back to my sisters after Christmas and had another stroke, she passed away Jan 13th. I've had a very hard time trying to deal with my moms death it's not easy! Hardest time of my life! Since my moms passing everytime I leave my house if its 5 min or a couple hours I come in to trash strung all over my kitchen floor, the laundry room floor and hallway floor depending on how full trash can is unless I put the trash can on the table. Do you know why they are doing this all of a sudden and how to make them stop? They know they are doing wrong, they hunch down and hide everytime they do it!!!!

MichelleRae72

Asked by MichelleRae72 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2013 in Pets

• My best guess would be they sense you're stressed and either this is their way of trying to distract you (granted, not the best way but hey, they're dogs! lol) or they are stressed because you're stressed and this is their way of dealing with it (kind of like some people overeat or drink too much to deal with stress).

I'd just keep it out of their reach and maybe work on eliminating your own stress, see if it helps at all. I'm sorry about your mother and I hope things get better for you soon.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Cesar Millan calls it separation anxiety

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Sorry. Maybe they sense your stress. Keep the can up or behind closed doors when you leave.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I try my best to remember to put it up before I leave but sometimes I'm in a hurry and forget. They never bother it when I'm home! They can open my cabinet doors, I have to keep 2 of my cabinet doors tied closed to keep them out because they love to drag everything they can out! They will eat the chips and cookies too. Lol. My Australian Shepard can open every door in my house, her little paws are like hands. It's funny but at time aggravating. I know they sense my stress I just don't know why they keep getting in the trash knowing they are going to be in trouble for doing it. Believe me, they know exactly what they are doing and that they are going to be in trouble !
    MichelleRae72

Comment by MichelleRae72 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I agree but don't understand because my border collie had seperation anxiety bad for a while bit that was years ago and it wasn't with trash. He would pull all my clothes blankets pillows towels and anything of mine he could get to and pile it in my living room floor and lay on it till I got home. My blinds also were tore to shreds but he hasn't done that in years. You still think that's what is going on?
    MichelleRae72

Comment by MichelleRae72 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Because they can? Also, they are pack animals so when one engages in bad behavior, well the other follows suit.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:09 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Because you don't have a trash can with a lid? Or because they caught a scent in the trash they liked?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Actually tasches they may be pack animals but my dogs aren't at all like that, my female will scold my male when he does something she knows I don't like them to do. I also have another dog that stays at our family farm and she is the peace keeper and breaks up rough playing and all sorts of things. She very mothering to our other dogs and animals. She even shared food with our lion head rabbit and laid with the kittens watching over them while mamma cat was out hunting. Sorry I don't think that's the issue but thank you!
    MichelleRae72

Comment by MichelleRae72 (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I do have a lid on my trash can and they do it when there is nothing but pop cans water bottles, junk mail and other things like that not any food waste or anything pertaining to food at all. That's why I don't understand. But thank you for your input! :)
    MichelleRae72

Comment by MichelleRae72 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Get a baby gate.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2013