When a bad thing happens that is not easily explained, is that also a miracle?

It seems convenient that all the anecdotal stories about miracles have positive outcomes. Nobody ever cites their aunt dying on the spot and nobody being able to figure out how or why as a miracle.

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Of course not, that's simply natural causes and the cold hard truth of reality. Unless they saw their aunt as evil, then it was god's punishment for her working with the devil.

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• it's all about the spin, baby :)

although my parents would count it as a miracle if the dies at the exact same time so neither of them would have to feel the loss of the others

Answer by feralxat at 4:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• - they died

Answer by feralxat at 4:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I don't think of things as miracles or evil or anything like that. It's balance. The good happens to balance the bad, the bad happens to balance the good. It sucks when you're the one on the receiving end of the bad, but it's just a part of life.

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• 3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Yes, I believe so. Miracles are not only good things that happen. They are simply any situation that seems outrageous with an unexplained outcome.

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• That is considered a tragedy.

Answer by deedee3849 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• That is considered a tragedy.

How convenient

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I was in a terrible accident a few years ago, I'm still having major surgeries from that accident. None of the EMT's on scene, nor any of the doctors or nurses at the first hospital, nor any of the 4 surgeons that operated on me expected me to live and they still to this day tell me I shouldn't have lived due to all the injuries I had. I believe everything happens for a reason even tho we may never know the reason. My friend that was also in the accident didn't believe in God and now he does and if that's why I'm going through everything I've been through and still going through then I'm fine with it because my friend will go to heaven when he leaves this world. I'm considered a miracle by many many many people! I consider myself a miracle to be alive to raise my child. I'm also a miracle that I'm not paralysed, didn't lose limbs and not badly brain damaged! It was a bad thing but a miracle in so many ways! I'm blessed!

Answer by MichelleRae72 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Ive yet to hear of anyone declaring such a thing.

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2013