Interview for a teaching position

what to expect and what's also good to ask about? thanks very much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2013 in Money & Work

• Well, this is really going to depend on what position and grade level (elementary, middle, high) you are interviewing for. Are you a recent graduate? I would ask your advisers and career counselor at the college you attend(ed). When I went through the education program we did mock interviews and one class was specifically about creating a teacher resume, do interviews, etc. You most valuable resource for this will be your college.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• May I ask how you would gain a teaching position without a license?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy, many states offer alternative certification for people who already hold bachelor degrees or higher. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• No, at least not in my state. In Georgia, let's say you have a degree in Biology and the schools are short on teachers who hold education/biology certification. They can hire you as a teacher but you will not get the same pay as a teacher (about $2,000-$3,000 less). During your first year of teaching, you will take education classes on the pedagogy of teaching, classroom management, etc. You will also be observed several times during that year. Once you have finished all of the classes, received satisfactory observations, and passed the GACE exam, then you will be given a teaching certification.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• i did a bit of teaching sudents at an undergraduate level when i was a graduate student myself, but this one is the very first real position i am interviewing for . beside hands on experience in my field i don't know what to expect. i also do not have the license to teach and shall probably obtain one within some time period.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Do you know what position you are interviewing for?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Ahh, so the certification is achieved prior to the position being interviewed for?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• They will probably want to know the extent of your knowledge is the grade & subject area you are interviewing for. Familiarity with the current curriculum & your classroom management skills. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I would want to know any additional duties I would be required to take on in addition to teaching (lunchroom duty, club advisor, etc.). Do you get a full period for planning? What hours are you expected to be on school grounds (in addition to school time obviously - are you required to stay after school a certain number of days/week)?

Answer by missanc at 7:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• 1. Ask yourself: What can YOU bring on the table for that position?
    2. Have you got kids? How could you help their education? How do you cope with disobedient, problematic or kids with special needs?
    MamaaSutra

Answer by MamaaSutra at 11:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2013