Anyone on here that is on a gluten free diet?

I was curious to know if you felt alot better once you started, and how hard it was to stay on it for the long term? I went without wheat and flour this week and feel alot better, but am for sure going to need more ideas to stick to it.

Is you whole family gluten free?

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 7:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I have a close friend who was diagnosed with a gluten allergy after a few hellish yearsof having problems with debilitating vertigo. She feels a whole lot better when she sticks to her diet. She can have rice products and alternative flours like quinoa and tapioca. She's learned to eat "sandwiches" made with big lettuce leaves instead of bread, and she has to avoid a lot of sauces, gravies, dresings, and the like. Google "gluten free" and you'll find tons of recipes, places to buy foods, and ideas for diets.

I don't know how people do it. I'd rather give up just about anything than bread. I guess if you feel better, it's incentive to behave.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My sister tried it for a while because she has a mild gluten allergy. She said it definitely helped, but she couldn't stick with it. She has no will power when it comes to some things though. :)
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I'm gluten free. I feel better and look better when I stick to it! It's not so bad if you don't eat a lot of baked goods. I use Udi's bread (not great) and eat rice/ rice products. It's worked out. I miss pizza and pasta but there are subs for that or I'll just cheat. If you have a whole foods or PCC near you, you can get a good start there.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• My daughter was diagnosed with a gluten allergy last year. She feels so much better, she definitelysticks with it. If she accidentally eats gluten, she feels it. It's not easy, but she is in pain if she eats gluten, so it's worth it to her to stick to gluten free.  

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2013