Why can't people talk about race without getting mad?

ive always wanted to ask someone of another race questions about how they may do things different from me. Like if there beliefs different, or different expressions they use.... just ask questions and mean no harm in it. whats wrong with that? ive saw post like this and someone always gets mad and takes things the wrong way. is there anything wrong with wanting to learn about another persons heritage? i don't mind at all for anyone to ask me anything. i had to put this post under "just for fun" cause it really didn't fit with any of the others.... sorry

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The topic of race is manytimes very generalized, when each person is very relative. If you need to ask, be careful of your words and leave the word "race" out. Many assumptions can be read into a question of not thoroughly thought through and diplomatic.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's a touchy subject. I think it's hard for total strangers to discuss something as personal as race without someone getting offended in some way, shape, or form.

Do you have any good friends of a different race? Perhaps you could ask them your questions. It's what I did :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• You know that has always bugged me too. I don't see why race has to be such a big deal. Black people can't be turned down for anything because it becomes a race issue. The same with Mexicans. And White people are constantly being turned down for things because they aren't Black or Mexican. Everything is taken literally or out of context or to be worse than it is when it comes to race. Black people complain about being slaves, but so were Mexicans. We don't complain everyday! At least black people aren't thrown out of the country everyday and can be here without problems. Why aren't they being deported like us mexicans!?

BTW this is a politics question.
    Anonymous

• I didn't know Mexicans were slaves? I thought that is what the treaty of guadalupe hidalgo was for? I could be wrong though.

And just to answer your question, I personally do not mind when people ask me about my culture. I am proud of it. I am Hispanic. I have alot of friends who are white and I love to hear about their history and what foods they like to eat and their beliefs. I also have friends who are Russian and Native American and I am always interested in what they have to share about their culture and history. The same for the African American people that I have met. Usually if you talk to them long enough you will find that we all have alot in common.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, that was me anon :39. I didn't mean to hit the anon button.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I just really don't see the big deal, and it makes me so mad to ask a simple question, like maybe what a word means, a word that I don't use and a person of another race might say it. Why can't I ask without getting a smart responce. You know, several years ago we lived in a different county and things were way different than they are here, where I live now. My daughter had friends of all races and they would spend the night with eachother, do each others hair, ask questions to each other about "why" this or that was different from her. You know, it was a great learning experience for my daughter and I loved it that she didn't and still don't make color an issue. She is blunt about asking questions though, and I think thats just fine.
    Anonymous

• also, do not assume that all people of one race will react the same way. not everyone plays the "race card" and please dont take offense to that term. a couple of my friends used it all the time and joked about it. they were black and very well educated.

if you have questions about such things it is better to ask someone you know who is of a different race than you. if you dont know the person, they may not understand exactly what you mean or know how to take your questions. some people are naturally more defensive and easily offended. thus, i would try to be at least aquaintences (sp?) before you ask to sensitive of questions.

it is a very touchy subject. my first bf was black (I am white) and I learned a lot about things like hair, and even his own feelings about others in his race.
    Anonymous