How can I reduce my 6yr old's 102.7 fever without medicine?

She won't take a bath like all the web sites say even though I have told her the bad things that could happen if it stays that high. We have a doctors appt tomorrow @11:15am, is it safe to wait until then or should I take her to ER?

Kaileasmom

Asked by Kaileasmom at 1:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Kids' Health

• That temp is too high for my liking. I say either force her into a luke warm bath or give her Tylenol/Ibuprofen. Or take her to the ER.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Why not give her some tylenol or advil? If you take her to the er thats the first thing they will do
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• You also can Wet socks and apply them to ankles. Sounds weird but works wonders for a high fever in children. Take a pair of cotton socks that are long enough to cover the child's ankles. Thoroughly wet the socks in cold tap water, then just wring out the excess water and put them on your daugter. You can also put a cold towel or something on the back of her neck too.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I'd say it isn't safe to let her temperature stay that high all night. Why on earth don't you want to give her Tylenol? If it were me, I'd give her some and plunk her down in the bath no matter what she had to say about it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I have set my child in the bathroom counter and bathed his feet in cool water. Much less extreme than sticking him a full bath. I also use a wet washcloth on the back of his neck.

I remember my mom bathing me in a cold bath when I had a fever. It was awful. I personally would give tylenol or motrin.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Soak small piece of towel or cloth in ice cold water and put them on forehead for some time. Apply it till the temperature lowers.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 2:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• You asked for a Medicine free answer. However, you cannot sabatoge the help being offered. Your daughter is sick. One doesnt "reason" with a six year old. This is not a debate, this is her heath. That behavior needs to stop. She does not understand...You are the adult here! Run a cool bath,not cold.as she is sitting in the tub its easier to get used to the water temp.Use your forearm, not hands to determine temp of water. Make sure you get her head wet. Head and feet hold in heat. Don't put a blanket on her,nor a nightgown. A little tank & undies or just undies.Let her hair dry naturally.A sheet is okay to cover her.Next, flush her with fluid. She needs to drink water, & lots of it with some powerade or kool aid. She should need to pee within 30 to 40 minutes of drinking. Pee should be very light yellow almost no color. If pee is dark yellow, she needs A lot of fluids! Make a game of who can pee first?Who can pee the most?
    Donya90

Answer by Donya90 at 4:06 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I don't give meds for low grade temps myself, but this is not what you're dealing with here. A temp that high needs meds, not an ER.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2013