Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My ex owes me back child support and he defaulted on his student loans.

When he files his tax returns, which gets paid first?

Answer Question

Asked by iminy at 2:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Don't know but in your shoes I'd expect to not see a single dime out of that... I'd expect him to not even get a refund.

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

  • is there a judgement from the courts to intercept the return for child support?
    what about student loans?

    they can only take them when a court order specifies, so I would guess student loans come first.

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

  • i would not count on seeing any of it. good luck mama!

    Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

  • I'm guessing but think it would be proportional...but like I said, I'm guessing. However, luvmygrandbaby is right, there has to be a court order or they will give it all to school loan. Why would the idiot default? It just takes a minute online to apply for a deferment or hardship forbearance.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

  • Good question but I am sure you will get your child support. Best of luck dear.

    Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:11 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

  • Lets hope child support

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

  • i think luv may be correct
    could call court and ask

    i do know that when you file for bankruptcy students loans- you still have to pay
    so they WILL gt their money
    may even be over cs- sad

    call court, if you do not have a court order, get one
    good luck

    Answer by fiatpax at 9:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

  • If there's nothing from the court that says you get his tax refund for back child support, it'll all go to student loans, assuming they have something from the court.

    Even if you do have something from the court, I wouldn't count on seeing anything. If he's not paying child support, it's highly unlikely he'll be getting a refund.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 1:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

  • did u get any money?

    Answer by san78 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.