Worst Gift You Received From Your Mother -in-Law?

My mother in law doesnt really like me. She never has. She was very close to her son, my husband. They had a long relationship as he didnt finish school until he was 25 (PharmD). I met him when he was 26. She was basically his wife. She picked out the furniture for his apartment. Bought and washed all his clothes, cleaned..you get the pic.

Then I came along and my husband and to cut the Mommy apron ties. She is a vindictive mean spirited woman who gossips badly.However, the cloak of church masks the REAL "her". My husband and I have been married for 23 years. I have watched her spoil my husband with nice gifts, my sister in law (her daughter...okay, that is too be expected) Her son -in-law, and all the grand kids and then there is me. Im her whipping boy. If its raining outside...its my fault. If the milk curdles...its my fault.

Every holiday or birthday she gives me the worst gifts. Once she gave me a horrid little nutcracker monkey. For my 30th, which was a hard birthday on me, she gave me a baking dish. She has given me a silver pig with wings, salt and pepper shakers, a stretched out sweater...No joke the sleeves nearly hit the floor. A cowboy nutcracker. (I do collect traditional nutcrakers, not wierd ones.) She gave me on my 40th this little wierd nick nack of a little girl that was three inches high. I have harley davidson playing cards that she gave me one year. Of course, everyone desires a set of nail clippers for Christmas. Really?

However, this year was a doozy. For my 46th She gave me butter knives! Yes...your reading that correct...it's not a typo...a set of butter knives!! What am I going to do with a set of butter knives? This has become so bad...that my husband and girls try to come up with ideas of what my mother in law is going to give me this year. While we joke and try to laugh it off, it is still hurtful as I work hard to get her gifts that she likes and would use.

While I have given her, coach jewelry, coach scarves,a day of beauty at an exclusive salon that cost $400, bread making machine, cell phones, wireless home phones, cd player,expensive crystal, navigation system for her car, the best dyson vacuum, and the list goes on.

I started to think, perhaps Im not the only lonely soul who gets these awful tacky and wierd gifts from their in laws. What is the worst gift you have ever received? It would lift my spirits significantly if you shared. One can choose to cry or laugh at these things. I choose to laugh!!!!

Donya90

Asked by Donya90 at 3:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Relationships

• I always receive best gifts from my MIL, specially best wishes and prayers for me and my family.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 5:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• i don't think my mil puts a ton of thoughts into my gifts she really does not fr anyone else either.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I haven't ever received a bad present from her. I didn't especially like the towels she gave me 2 years ago but they are big and thirsty, just not particularly my style.

Answer by missanc at 6:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Drunken advice on how to not be like my ex sister in law.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My MIL has never given me ONE gift. No birthday,anniversary,no Christmas
    My mom has never given my husband anything either. Her excuse? "He not my son" WTH??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Every year I get something like this for christmas and my birthday.

Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 7:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• my grandma used to give me thrift store gifts. Records that were scratched, puzzles that were missing pieces...

my mother in-law however, never gave me an awful gift.

Honestly, these don't sound like great gifts, but they don't sound horrible either. She could skip you entirely, or give you cleaning items or something. I think I would laugh it off and maybe not give her such expensive/ nice ones anymore
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• No horrendous gifts here, but I just want to say that after reading your post you deserve some kudos!! I understand how hurtful this is. You have shown over the 23 years that you are the better person. Take strength from that and also......you might consider scaling back on the wonderful gifts you give her. hugs
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My MIL only ever gave me very thoughtful gifts after having sounded me out.

OTOH, my ex-SIL! She had a talent for crappy gifts! I think most of the clothes that she gave me as gifts were things that she was regifting because she didn't like them ... We were two totally different shapes and sizes ... The two winners would be the sleeveless t-shirt with broad horizontal stripes (I'm very top heavy) and the frilly Laura Ashley style blouse (when I was a denim and leather hippy). Yet another reason I'm glad my brother divorced her - lol
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I usualy get PJ's that are like 4x im and XL so they dont work at all. I dont know trytalking ot her and make a relationship with her and build it from there. At least she isgetting you something.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2013