How do you, as a believer in the God of Abraham, justify God's behavior?

There’s nothing, no matter how heinous, which can’t be excused by the ardent believer. Just cling on to the idea that God is unfathomable, and presto, genocide and killing of innocents become moral and justified, though you can’t explain how. ~trj

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• His Word (Bible) speaks for itself.
    ****************************
    Yes, it most certainly does!! lmao.
    it tells me what a piece of shit that "god" truly is.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• By applying logic to the Bible and realizing that those genocides (like Canaan) did NOT happen (according to archaeological, DNA, etc, evidence), and that the Bible represents the mindset of those writing it, reflects the times in which it was written, etc. I find it intellectually dishonest to "blame" God for things that didn't even really happen, or for the tribal mindset of the early Bible authors. It seems that the most ardent Atheists are just as guilty as the most hardcore fundamentalists in looking at the Bible without context. I disbelieve in the same kind of God they do - find genocide just as deplorable, etc - I just recognize that that's not the only option. I realize that as a document written by man it is going to be limited by man's biases and understandings, etc. It is going to reflect the customs and beliefs of the people who wrote it, and it is our job to understand the difference.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I can't justify G-d's behavior. No Human has the capacity to fully understand an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being, when we're the complete opposite. Our understanding and perception are too limited.
    A good question would be, why do we have to explain what you perceive as "bad" to your liking but you never seem to question the "good"? Why do people take for granted the good things that G-d gives out if love and call it "nature", but something they read and don't like deserves an good enough explanation?
    Have you ever asked a believer to explain to you why G-d created the world with color, tastes and smells when He found just have us exist without anything pleasurable or unpleasant? Have you asked why G-d gave us the capacity to feel joy, laugh, celebrate, embrace?
    Have you ever asked how come you continue to live a life without your blessings diminished even if you deny His existence?
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• They can't. They will continually contradcit themselves by saying God's will is "knowable" or "in the bible" while when things don't go according to how they feel it should they will say "we cannot know god's will. It is the classic crutch of the ardent believer to possess knowlegde of "god's will" when it is in accordance with their own and deny knowledge when the situation is not preferable to their senses.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• OR AT LEAST EVERYTHING MAN HAS SAID HE DOES/HAS DONE/STANDS FOR/ETC.

Yeah you realize that includes the very foundation of which your "religious beliefs" are based on..Ie THE BIBLE of course you are forgetting the biggest thing man made up about God and that would be his existence.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• First of all, God takes a whole lot of blame for terrible acts that people commit, sometimes in His name. That doesn't mean God is rsponsible. Human beings have free will, very often to their detriment and the detrment of their fellow men.

Secondly, who are we to understand everything God does? When my baby was born, she had to wear a brace for a few months because of a congenitally dislocated hip. She was curled up and bound in a position that wasn't comfortable for her, and she criedand yelled. She wanted me to remove that brace, but I understood what she did not. I saw the bigger picture, how the present trial would make her future better, and I couldn't give her what she was crying for in the moment because I knew it would harm her over the long haul. I think that's the way it is with God. He can't always give us what we really, really believe we must have because there's a bigger picture we can't see.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• these answers...wow...

Not that I expected to see anything different
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• ^See, but not all Christians see faith that way. Not all of us believe in the literalism of the narratives, in the idea of "original sin," etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• LOLOLOLOL
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I do not agree with everything God does/has done/stands for/etc......which is frowned upon, but eh...what are you gonna do?

Well common sense would dictate that you re-evaluate your position in regards to "worshipping' said god and decide what it is you DO stand for as opposed to simply following blindly because it's the "popular" thing to do. You know the whole "think for yourself" thing
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2013