How do you, as a believer in the God of Abraham, justify God's behavior?

There’s nothing, no matter how heinous, which can’t be excused by the ardent believer. Just cling on to the idea that God is unfathomable, and presto, genocide and killing of innocents become moral and justified, though you can’t explain how. ~trj

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• That is not the foundation of MY religious beliefs. It's humorous that you are throwing out there what it is when you have no clue what is the foundation of MY religious beliefs. I have the faith that God does exist. Nothing you can do/say will change that. I don't need proof and mostly certainly some random CM member saying He doesn't exist is not going to change anything.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I believe that God knows everything, present, past and future. I believe that God created everything. If God created everything he has a right to destroy and recreate as he chooses. God is not a man so He does not think like a man/woman.
    So If I believe as above and I beleieve the ultimate goal is man's salvation and the second coming, then I have to believe that certain things will happen or even need to happen in order for the end to come. Something centuries before the end or longer..
    Now if you would like to cite specifics pehaps someone who is more educated than I can take a stab at it for you.
    You have to be open for the discussion though because it is useless to talk to a closed mind on any side of the "debate"
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• "why create an imperfect being, then demand they "act right" because their behavior pisses him off?
    Sounds like a toddler having a tantrum"

Actually, the ones questioning Him are the ones sounding like a toddler throwing a tantrum. You tell your toddler "don't cross the street", he says "why?", you say "it's dangerous, you can get run over by a car", he says, "But I want to cross the street to the park!", you say "well you do that, I'm gonna punish you", toddler thinks "I'm not an idiot, I can cross the steer", toddler crosses the street, you punish him. Toddler says, "well, why are we living in the opposite side of the street for, anyway?!?"
    Now, are you a tyrant for buying a house in the opposite side of the park and then make a rule that your toddler can't cross that street?
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• why create an imperfect being, then demand they "act right" because their behavior pisses him off?

You do have children right? roflol
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Even though these "because he's god" answers were expected...I am still astounded by the cruelty and lack of concern for human life that so many christians show. Their filthy deity should be tried and executed for his atrocities.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Additionally, using the "god as parent" metaphor forgets some important components.  Where is God?  Where is his guidance?  Does he just drop his creations on the planet, and expect us to follow an instruction manual that was written by fallible humans a couple of millenia ago?  We, as parents, don't just write down some instructions for our children, and expect them to abide by them, then punish them with the equivalent of hellfire if they don't trust or understand those instructions.  If he exists, and is a "parent", he's a really bad one.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• sahmamaxx2- Again, it's a matter of perspective.
    If you do not believe in God to be Holy your view of the Bible is skewed. God's Holiness is the essence of His being.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Again, I heard once that this life is like the back of an elaborate embroidery. We see the knots. We see our own little squares, bits of color. Someday, we will see the beautiful whole that we were a tiny, important part of.

Then, God needs no justification from me, especially since a lot of what gets pinned on God should be attributed to the imperfect people who sometimes follow Him faithfully, and sometimes use Him as justification for their own evil.

Lastly, as I said before, getting tangled up in a debate with people who have already made up their minds that there's no room for discussion is pointless.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• i couldnt excuse certain behaviors that others were claiming were God's doing, thats why i had to change my beliefs on what God is. but it didnt make God non-existent either.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Opposing energies, or forces, incompatible with each other.
    *************************************************
    this makes sense to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2013