How do you, as a believer in the God of Abraham, justify God's behavior?

There’s nothing, no matter how heinous, which can’t be excused by the ardent believer. Just cling on to the idea that God is unfathomable, and presto, genocide and killing of innocents become moral and justified, though you can’t explain how. ~trj

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• And what sin David's newborn son committed that could possibly have been so much worse than his father's murder of Bathsheba's husband and his adultery with her that the infant had to die? I have more questions when you have answered these!

First of all, at least the way I understand it, the Old Testament is a history of the Jewish people, handed down by oral tradition. There was much that wasn't known in ancient times about disease, nutrition, all sorts of lifesaving knowledge we have now. David and Bathsheba's infant son probably died from botulism because honey was routinely given to infants at that time, or malnutrition, or a high fever, or who knows what. God often gets the credit and the blame for human circumstances.

Secondly, why would we put a great deal of thought and time into answering questions when you clearly have already made up your mind that we, and our answers, are flawed?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• (that was in response to jsbenkert, lol)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I believe the miracle questions below question the good.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I cannot justify the actions of someone other than myself. I don't know what goes on "behind the scenes" to know the reasons behind why things are done by anyone other than myself. However, even though I am Christian, I do not agree with everything God does/has done/stands for/etc...or at least everything that MAN has said that He does/has done/stands for/etc...which is frowned upon, but eh...what are you gonna do?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• The misbehavior of children is simply part of the growing process. God knows our potential for good and love as well as our potential for getting into trouble. God loves fellowship with us, His children and desires fellowship with all His creations.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• "It doesn't have to be a similar scenario, it's an analogy. Any negative law (meaning those we're not supposed to do) would apply."

but God doesnt always explain the "why" like good parents do. you follow a lot more life-style laws than they rest of us do, but what is the purpose for all those laws...like not mixing fabrics...what harm does that do to you if you do mix fabrics? its questions like that that make so many ppl think there is no God, or that he didnt write any of the books attributed to him...cause you have to give God the benefit of the doubt that there is some harm in doing something that obviously doesnt harm anyone.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Think of someone who has never known what cigarettes do. She only sees that people do it, they feel good about it and in all appearances, it doesn't harm them or anyone else. Would her perception of the consequences be right because her knowledge and experiences are incomplete? She could read it causes cancer and emphysema, but unless she experiences it or is in close contact with someone experiencing it, she'll never fully understand what that consequence is. Does that mean there are no consequences, then?
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• "How can you know it causes spiritual damage, when you don't even know what exact damage is done?"

Because that's what the word of G-d (what I believe it to be) says. It's not true that G-d said "don't cook the calf in it's mother's milk" and left it at that for us to obey without question. You read the Talmud and it gives not only detailed instructions as to how to follow this law, but explains that the spiritual "energies" of meat and dairy are incompatible and cause spiritual damage. If I tell my child not to stick his hand in the fire because he'll burn, I don't have to go into a deep histological analysis of the damage to the skin to expect my son to understand there's a negative consequence to doing that.
    I once heard an explanation that the energy of milk is life, for obvious reasons, but for meat you need death. Opposing energies, or forces, incompatible with each other.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• that totally contradicts the whole all powerful aspect of god everyone is always talking about.

Not really. What God *can* do if He so chooses is different from what He actually does. You could intervene in the life of your child so that nothing bad ever happens to him. You could walk with him to make sure he never falls down, pick out his friends for him so he doesn't get hurt, etc. But you don't; it wouldn't be good for him. He wouldn't have his own journey or learn anything. He would be totally dependent on you. That isn't what you want as a parent; that isn't what God wants for us, the crown of His creation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• So you do exactly what the quote suggests? You can't even attempt to understand God, so there is never any need to justify the horrible things he does? Yes... I said horrible because if a human did the things God as supposedly done, they'd be executed for crimes.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2013