How do you, as a believer in the God of Abraham, justify God's behavior?

There’s nothing, no matter how heinous, which can’t be excused by the ardent believer. Just cling on to the idea that God is unfathomable, and presto, genocide and killing of innocents become moral and justified, though you can’t explain how. ~trj

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Let's see . . . God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent.  He created humans, with full knowledge that he, the perfect being, has created something extremely flawed, plants a tree that he forbids them to touch, knowing that Eve will be tempted by the snake that God created, and knowing that he will have to punish Adam and Eve for crimes that he knew they would commit.  He had to know.  He's omniscient.  Then, after a few generations of incest, murder (often commanded by God, even though he has made commandments against it), and other bad behavior, he decides to flood the earth to cleanse it of his disobedient creations (even killing pregnant women (and their fetuses), children, and all the animals that weren't lucky enough to have been chosen by Noah to board the little boat. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• The Canaanites were giants, they were descendants of the Nephilim. Now these creatures were not fully human. They were hybrids, being fathered by fallen angels (See Genesis 6). They were the reason for the Flood of Noah. They were nothing but pure evil and desired only to consume (eat) and destroy humans. God destroyed them in the flood and then He had the Hebrews do it again in Canaan. Goliath was one of these beings, as was Og, King of Bashan. They were evil beyond evil and would have destroyed us all had God not destroyed them both times. Some survived and mankind suffered because of it. Soon they will return, then you'll see what I mean. They were hybrids. Some were "created" by DNA manipulation. That is happening now. If anyone is interested let me know. I'll go into more detail for you. With more historical proof. Even in America. They were everywhere. And had to be destroyed or we would not exist as we do now.
    KarensFaith

Answer by KarensFaith at 1:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• OK well this is my opinion and I am sure people will disagree but heres the deal. God didnt do those things his followers did. People have twisted his words for centuries to fit there own demented needs. Not to mention even though it was inspired by god the bible was written and translated by man. Simple as that yes it has flaws and Im sure it has part of their own personal opinions and believes in there. After all man is fallible. However point is I cant justify my gods behavior simple because it was not his behavior that caused that. Though granted the god I believe in is the one that makes sense to me and I may very well be wrong however if I am then I will not be sorry. The god I follow is more like a parent then a god. He is loving kind and forgiving. He is not a vengeful monster who will send majority of people to hell simple because they dont believe while let killers in heaven only because they repent. Not my god
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• from god saying I AM
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:20 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• "Because of our free will, God can only pick up the pieces if he is allowed to
    *************************************
    that totally contradicts the whole all powerful aspect of god everyone is always talking about."

Agree!
    Maybe it's the wording, the use of the term "allowed". Not being allowed to do something obviously implies a superior, someone who has the power to tell you what you can and can't do. A supreme, omnipotent power by definition has no one and nothing above him to tell him what he's "allowed" to do.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• that totally contradicts the whole all powerful aspect of god everyone is always talking about.

Not really. What God *can* do if He so chooses is different from what He actually does. You could intervene in the life of your child so that nothing bad ever happens to him. You could walk with him to make sure he never falls down, pick out his friends for him so he doesn't get hurt, etc. But you don't; it wouldn't be good for him. He wouldn't have his own journey or learn anything. He would be totally dependent on you. That isn't what you want as a parent; that isn't what God wants for us, the crown of His creation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Because of our free will, God can only pick up the pieces if he is allowed to
    *************************************
    that totally contradicts the whole all powerful aspect of god everyone is always talking about.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• why create an imperfect being, then demand they "act right" because their behavior pisses him off?

As moms, we create children. My view is that we get to be partners with God in the perpetuation of themiracle of life, but regardless, our children are born. We know they will need to be nurtured, guided, taught, disciplined, and helped to reach their full potential. If we're good moms, we make a lifetime commitment to seeing that our children are as safe and happy as we can make them, but sometimes that involves tough love, disagreeing with their choices, telling them things they don't want to here, even turning away and letting them fall on their butts. I think some of wat God does is like that for us, and just as our children's bad choices can harm others who are innocent, so can the mistakes we make as the daughters of the Creator-King. Because of our free will, God can only pick up the pieces if he is allowed to
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• And what sin David's newborn son committed that could possibly have been so much worse than his father's murder of Bathsheba's husband and his adultery with her that the infant had to die? I have more questions when you have answered these!

First of all, at least the way I understand it, the Old Testament is a history of the Jewish people, handed down by oral tradition. There was much that wasn't known in ancient times about disease, nutrition, all sorts of lifesaving knowledge we have now. David and Bathsheba's infant son probably died from botulism because honey was routinely given to infants at that time, or malnutrition, or a high fever, or who knows what. God often gets the credit and the blame for human circumstances.

Secondly, why would we put a great deal of thought and time into answering questions when you clearly have already made up your mind that we, and our answers, are flawed?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Opposing energies, or forces, incompatible with each other.
    *************************************************
    this makes sense to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2013