How do you, as a believer in the God of Abraham, justify God's behavior?

There’s nothing, no matter how heinous, which can’t be excused by the ardent believer. Just cling on to the idea that God is unfathomable, and presto, genocide and killing of innocents become moral and justified, though you can’t explain how. ~trj

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Let's see . . . God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent.  He created humans, with full knowledge that he, the perfect being, has created something extremely flawed, plants a tree that he forbids them to touch, knowing that Eve will be tempted by the snake that God created, and knowing that he will have to punish Adam and Eve for crimes that he knew they would commit.  He had to know.  He's omniscient.  Then, after a few generations of incest, murder (often commanded by God, even though he has made commandments against it), and other bad behavior, he decides to flood the earth to cleanse it of his disobedient creations (even killing pregnant women (and their fetuses), children, and all the animals that weren't lucky enough to have been chosen by Noah to board the little boat. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I would never attempt to "justify" God's behavior. He is holy and He is sovereign, and He can do anything He wants--including taking me out of this world in the span of a heartbeat.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• So you do exactly what the quote suggests? You can't even attempt to understand God, so there is never any need to justify the horrible things he does? Yes... I said horrible because if a human did the things God as supposedly done, they'd be executed for crimes.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• God doesn't need justification. He is God. If He created this world, He can destroy it. If He created us, He can destroy us. But the God I know is merciful and loving unlike other so called gods.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• God pretty much sums up that we are not able to completely understand Him because His ways are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9).

You are comparing God to human mentality and God is so far above us & our way of thinking. He created life. He created us. He knows everything. He knows the heart of every single person ever born. He knows the impact of their choices in life, and the impact of their death (present and future). He knows every thought ever thought.

God is all light and no darkness. He is holy and just. I think people question these things when they do not see God as completely holy.  God is not capable of evil. If you do not believe He is capable of evil then all that is done must be for a divine purpose even though we may not understand it completely. Someday we will. 

deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• these answers...wow...

Not that I expected to see anything different
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I love how people spout off about not being able to "understand" god, yet go on and on and on about how god is merciful yet vengeful and can do what he wants.
    Either you don't understand him and shouldn't be talking FOR him, or you are pretending to be god and think you can speak for him.
    Contradictions abound! Not surprising.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Most importantly, I can't justify to myself worshiping an invisible, unproven deity that would perform such heinous acts towards those that he claims to love & created.  

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• His Word (Bible) speaks for itself....and all of these character traits and qualities are found in it. Simple restating what God has shared about Himself with us through His Word. This info is accessible to all.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• His Word (Bible) speaks for itself.
    ****************************
    Yes, it most certainly does!! lmao.
    it tells me what a piece of shit that "god" truly is.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2013