Are Atheists missing the point of religious faith?

Firefly scene in which Shepard Book finds River Tam altering his Bible:

Book: What are we up to, sweetheart?

River: Fixing your Bible.

Book: I, um…
[alarmed]
Book: What?

River: Bible’s broken. Contradictions, false logistics – doesn’t make sense.

[she's marked up the bible, crossed out passages and torn out pages]
Book: No, no. You-you-you can’t…

River: So we’ll integrate non-progressional evolution theory with God’s creation of Eden. Eleven inherent metaphoric parallels already there. Eleven. Important number. Prime number. One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. Noah’s ark is a problem.

Book: Really?

River: We’ll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5000 species of mammal on the same boat.
[rips out page]

Book: River, you don’t fix the Bible.

River: It’s broken. It doesn’t make sense.

Book: It’s not about making sense. It’s about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It’s about faith. You don’t fix faith, River. It fixes you.

I think Whedon really caught the dynamic between atheist and evangelical there.

Atheist: This doesn’t make sense.
Christian: You have to feel it!
Atheist: But is it real?
Christian: That’s not the point, it works!

As Zach Alexander pointed out in his review of Faitheist, to most atheists epistemology is important. But to progressive Christians, fussing over the number of animals on the ark misses the point completely.

~vorjack

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• {{{{{Firefly}}}}}

((((((IhartU}}}}} for posting from Firefly

Know-it-alls (at least the ones that think they know it all) always think anyone who doesn't believe the same way they do, even others of the same religion just a different flavor, is "missing the point". Personally, I think THEY are missing the point that every person has to decide for themselves. Make up their own minds. Not follow along blindly just because that's what everyone else is doing or what mom and dad did.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• "No, not at all. I think we realize that the point of religious faith is to remove the burden of critical thinking and responsibility for the lives we are living and what we are leaving to the future generations"

No. The point of religion, like the point of science is to find truth. They just find different angles for that truth. Science can explain the when and how, religion explains the why and it's when you can marry both in one consistent, logical reality that you have a bigger picture that if you deny one as useless.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I think it depends on exactly what you are asking. If you are actually asking if atheists are missing the point/ importance of religion, then yes obviously they are. If you mean do atheisist feel the are missing some important piece to their equassion, then no they are not.

I am not the judge, each is a judge for themselves. Religion/ faith is not important to you? Then you are not missing anything. Religion/ faith is imprtant to you then the absense of it would mean that you are missing something you feel you need.

This isn't really a debbte question (not that it can't be in this section) since it is a individual choice and not something the "group" has to decide for all its members.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Are atheist missing the point of religious faith? Yes.. But I think a ton of "religious" people are missing the point of religious faith. However, just like no one out there can tell me what my faith means to me, I can honestly say what their belief system means to them. That is just my opinion.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• *cant.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Anything I say here is too offensive. If someone knows it is not real why dedicate their lives to it? Like the last Christian line in your answer.

I don't know. I like everyone.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Krist if I try to explain something to you that you are not interested in or see no purpose for of course you are not going to get the point.
    You just can't see what I see. It does not demean you choice in any way to say that you do not "get" what I am trying to express to you.
    It may mean that I am not expressing it well or something that you are simply not interested in. That does not make me the judge.

If some one said to you that they do not see the point of eating cured meat (bacon) You would not consider them judging you for your stance and hopefully you would not judge them for theirs.

It is a choice we individuals make. So unless I am trying to force you to truely believe with me or stand in whatever pose and damn you to the eternal fires (I do not have that power anyway) I can not see the point of this discussion.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Yes Spirited Witch that is the point they are missing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• In all actuality most atheists I know get the point better then most christians. The thing is they knowingly disagree with the point. Which is completely with inn there right and I dont see how a god would punish some one for doing so. That is unless he's entirely self centered and egotistical in which case not a god any one should honor. He gave us free will to find our own ways and there are many roads that lead to the same place so in reality no human can predict who is making the right choice and who is not. Truth is if he wanted us all to believe blindly in him he would not have given us free will simple. As well if he wanted us to tell others their doing it wrong he would not have said judge not least ye be judged. So seeing as how atheist leave us believe what we like and dont push their believes on us and dont judge us on our beliefs alone and say their one step ahead
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• No. The point of religion, like the point of science is to find truth.

Though I agree with the rest sorry you can't find truth when it can't be proven one way or the other. There for religious beliefs can only true for the one who believes them and no one else. There is no definite truth in it until the day you die. For which we might all be surprised and all be wrong
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2013