Husbands Job...Vent

OK Mat has worked at the same job for the last 9 years. He has been sick with a bad cold, so yesterday morning he took some cough medicine that was prescribed to our 16yr old son. It has codine in it. Once a month they randomly pick 5 peoples id #s for random drug test. His showed traces of codine in it and so now he is suspended until Tuesday. They said if its just trace amounts then he will come back. This just isn't good. I mean seriously cough medicine

Tyler_mom1996

Asked by Tyler_mom1996 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Relationships

• If its just that than he should not have to worry.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I agree he shouldnt worry. Maybe next time he shouldnt take something not prescribed to him as well.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Looks like he dodged a bullet this time. Now he knows that he has to be careful about what medications he takes. Cough medicine that is by prescription that is not his is not a good idea.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Was he up front and honest before they even took the test. It might have helped him if he had said "Look you're going to find traces of coke in my tests due to my taking my sons' medicene. I've been sick with this cough and didn't want to take time off work to go to the dr's." He might still have been suspeneded but at least it would have been on record if he did.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Honestly, he is lucky he is just suspended. If he was in a job like the military he would be kicked out no questions asked for popping on a test and taking someone else's prescription. Let this be a learning experience for him.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• He has traces of a drug that he has no prescription for in his system. Honestly, he's lucky he's only suspended, because many places would have fired him on the spot.

I get that it doesn't seem like that big a deal to you, but it really is. Taking a med not prescribed for you is serious business.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Ok, I know what it's like to want to be done with a cough. But, there are OTC meds he could have got that wouldn't have gotten him in trouble. He is really lucky that he just got suspended. I know alot of places around here will fire you on the spot, even if it is only trace amounts. The fact that he even took the cough med that wasn't in his name actually is something he could get arrested for, you know that right?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I completely understand your concern. My husbands job does random drug tests. Another thing you'll want to tell your husband to avoid is poppy seeds. My husband will not eat a bun with a poppy seed on it. It registers as a drug on the drug test. I would have never thought about the cough syrup and I dont think my husband would have either. If things dont work out get a lawyer to get his job back. One way or another he'll keep his job.
    As for now try not to worry.
    bridget57

Answer by bridget57 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Is he worried? I don't think either of you should be. You did nothing wrong right?
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Yeah never ever take a prescription that was not written for you. Your husbands lucky he wasn't fired. Had it been his prescription, he could have shown a dr's note.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 7:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2013