• In the Spotlight:

2 yo complaining of headaches?

My 2 year old daughter has told me 3 or 4 times over the past few weeks that her head hurts. I didn't think much of it at first, thinking maybe she overheard her daddy or me say that or that maybe she was just tired or hungry, etc. Today it caught my attention, though b/c she has said it several times now. Is it normal for a 2 year old to have headaches??

Senae

Asked by Senae at 11:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It happens, bu that often I would talk to the pediatrician about just in case it's something more.
    Anonymous

• she could of hit her head on something, I would go to the doctors
    Synaura

Answer by Synaura at 11:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Might of been a head injury that you weren't aware of or it could be need of glasses which can cause headaches. Sometimes sensitivity to light or outdoors from indoor. My son developed headaches with what he ate. He kept complaining of headaches since he was 2 -4 taking him to the dr's over and over. Optometrist and Allergist. Finally we started watching his food intake and when he seemed to have or complain of them we would think back on his last meal or snack. Finally discovered he gets these headaches from processed meats like bologna or hot dogs. So we stopped giving him these things and the headaches went away.
    MsShopai

Answer by MsShopai at 1:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My daughter has headaches and has had them since she was a toddler. She has migraines and very frequent sinus infections. It took a CAT scan to notice the sinus problems because they were in the rear sinuses. Her migraines were triggered by processed meats (anything with nitrites or nitrates) and by her sinuses. I would take her to the doc first, to check these things, then make an eye doctor appointment. The reason I would check sinuses first is that the glasses sitting on the face can cause more trouble with headaches if there is a sinus component.

yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take her to the doctor. I'll call Monday. I needed glasses from the time I was very young. I wonder if maybe she does too. I will mention sinuses to the doctor though. I stood her across the room the other day & had her read the cereal box, and she did great, naming each letter I pointed to. So I think she's seeing fine. My exam wasn't really all that uh, professional though. Haha. And we don't eat processed meats, or any meat actually. I would hate to find out she's low in iron or something. I'll let the doctor help figure it out though. Great ideas.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 12:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2009