Anyone want to chime in on this

i am 'Art for Youth' presenter for my daughter's kindergarten class (5-6 year olds)

this month we are doing this artwork

ideas on how to present to little kids?

it is Black History month, and artist Black, and her artwork very political, but her teacher has not covered anything on Black history- she says too young, just to present as artwork

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 10:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I know that book. It's Tar Beach. It's a magical journey that a girl imagines she can fly over the city with her brother & go anywhere she wants. She sees the brooklyn bridge her Dad (I think) helped to build too. I'd say that a little girl spends dinner on the roof of where she lives & dreams she is on a beach & can fly on magical journeys by gazing at the stars & city lights. I'd ask the kids "what are special things you like to do with your family?" "What are your favorite things to eat?" "What do you see in this picture?"

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I would talk about how artwork often tells a story, and ask the children what they think the story in this quilt is. Then I'd have each of them design a quilt on paper that tells a story about their life. Maybe give them scraps of fabric and trims to glue to the paper.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I'm still stuck on the child flying across the sky.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• It's pretty. I think little kids will just see the adults are talking at the table, while the kids look up at the stars. I suppose you could go into urban life and, are there words in the quilt part? I can't read them if there are.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• who picks these? Maybe it's me but they all seem to be a little much for the kindergarten age kids!

maybe ask them what they think the people at the table are talking about, or ask them if they have quilts of their own that tell a story, or what are the kids on the blanket doing? I dunno...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• great work!!
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I think it's a view of a how cultures vary. This particular one is may be of a family at dinner time. The younger children are laying on the blanket looking at the sky. To some cultures, dinner is a very important time for family members to come together to discuss the days events. The older ones are sitting around the table talking while the younger ones play. Notice the laundry, which is also how they utilize their outdoor space. They have taken a patio and turned it into the great outdoors. The child in the sky is how the kids are pretending to be up there....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2013

• You could talk about the artist wanting to show a sense of family as comfort so she put her picture on a quilt. Relate the quilt to blankies they may have at home, and how these blankets make them feel safe, warm, comfy, etc
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I'm going to be the contrarian here. I don't think there's anything overtly political about this. Kids that age aren't looking for political portents; they're going to be focused on the little girl who can fly (imagination/wishes/dreams) family time, etc. I think it's a beautiful quilt and I'd pull together the concept of family, of cohesiveness, of comfort.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• That is a very cool peice. I like it.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 12:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2013