Puberty and masturbation adult content

I discovered last night that my 11.5 year old DS has started to masturbate. Is this young for this kind of activity? I'm not really concerned about the act itself, I realize it's normal, healthy, and bound to happen. It just seems on the young side, is all.

I've reminded him that private acts need to remain private, and he needs to shut the door from this point on because its not something anyone else needs to see. I'm a single mom, I've been widowed for a while now, so there's no father figure in the picture that I can have talk to him, and he's not close to any other males either. I'm only anon because this is such a private matter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Kids' Health

• It's the normal age , you did right already. No worries momma!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Totally normal.
    Now is an appropriate time to begin talking about sex and how women's bodies work, too!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I would buy him a book about puberty. Here is a long list of books. Then I would tell him that you will give him a couple of weeks to read it and then will answer questions if he has them. Remind him that while you are not a man, you do have knowledge about how male bodies work and will answer the best you can. Then ask him if there is anyone else he would like to talk to...ie; an uncle or one of your friends. Reassure him that he can always come to you with any question.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My son is almost 12 and I just learned he does it as well. I think it's pretty normal. I just told him that while he didn't need to be embarrassed, it is something to be done in private and he doesn't need to talk about it with others. I let him know that I am here if he has questions and that if he doesn't want to talk to me (I'm a single mom too), he can talk to his grandpa. I told him that I will answer any and all questions he has even if I have to look it up for him. He seems pretty comfortable with things right now so I'm just leaving it alone.

I think you handled it just fine. The only thing I would suggest is that if he truly seems uncomfortable talking to you, find a man that you can trust, and that he'll trust, that he can talk to. He has to be able to talk to someone, ask questions, etc. - whether that's you, his doctor, uncle, grandpa, whatever. Just not another teen/boy. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Nope. Did you know that as soon as they discover their private areas, they will begin to "play" with them? That's why toddler will rub themselves up against stuff....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Nope. It's about the normal age as far as I know.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• It doesn't surprise me. I think boys tend to discover the pleasures of touching their private parts a little sooner than girls, as a generalization, because the parts are so ... well, accessible.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Seems like a normal age for that kind of stuff.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Thanks for asking this question. Now I know when to expect my little boy to start, which I hope I never find out. I still have a while to go since he's only 3.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I knew that... but this seems more... purposeful somehow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2013