Recycling Old Appliances

I'm getting a new stove this weekend. I can't donate my old one anywhere because it's a fire hazard. Periodically, the oven will keep getting hotter and hotter instead of cooling down when I turn it off, and I have to throw the breaker. How would I go about finding a company or a person who can take away my old stove for scrap, or recycle the metal, or something?

I can't look in the phone book because of my visual impairment, and I'm not sure where to search online.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Freecycle or Craigslist
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Usually the place where you buy a new appliance from will take the old appliance away. Sometimes for a fee. You could call your local County Recycling Dept & ask them to come pick it up. Call information on the phone to get the number.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• there are people who sell scrap metal for money, look on Craigs list and see if they will come and get it!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Doesn't the store you're getting the new one from take the old one away?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Post for free on craigslist. Someone will pick it up for scrap metal. There should be tons of ads in the wanted section for old appliances.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Go to your town's website and ask the public works dept. They should be able to help you. Explain all the problems with it if you post on Craigslist or similar. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I can't afford to get a new stove from a store right now. I'm being given a used one by a friend of mine who has upgraded.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2013