I'm just curious

This is not really a debate question, per se, but it does deal with the Religious Debate Section, so I'm asking it here.

I've noticed many times when a question is posed here that pertains to religion in some way, whether with religious doctrine, beliefs, or how any of it affects the rest of society or the world, that often someone will say, "This question doesn't belong in the RD section."

What do you consider proper criteria for Religious Debate questions?

Does everything have to be phrased in the form a question, Alex? (as we see when an opinion is expressed in the "question post" that clearly is meant to spark debate, without an actual question mark after it)

Is the problem that some of the questions just seem too controversial, contentious, or make the reader uncomfortable?

What sort of question doesn't belong in the RD section? (aside from the "Am I prengate 'cuz I swallowed?" or "is it time to change the motor oil?" obviously not religion-related questions)

Feel free to answer any or all of the above.

Again, I'm really just curious since this pops up frequently in this section.

Oh - and another question - if you don't see the point to answering a question, or don't like that a question is posted here, why bother answering it?  That one always makes me laugh.  "I think this is a stupid question, and I hate that it was asked and that people are answering it, so I'm going to answer the question by saying that it's a stupid question, and that will stop the thread."  Tee hee hee.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• if its likely to cause an argument, is looking for something more than just information, is controversial, or is a hot-button issue, it belongs in RD.

if its asking for information about a religion, asking for prayers, asking if someone has experienced something similar to them, it goes in R&B.

but thats just me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I think ones' beliefs being questioned is too much for them. Why they hang out in RD is beyond me though.
    Don't like it....go skip along to somewhere else where everyone agrees with you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I think a question des not belong in debate if it can't be debated. How can you debate if someone is missing something . If it is visible , they either are or are not. If it is subjective then it is too personal, individual to be debated. Discussed , absolutely, but debated no.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I agree with okmanders.

I would like to add that debate doesn't have to mean argument or how many one-ups one can get on another. I'm not at all speaking of any one mom just the way things sometimes unfold in the debate section. I'm sure I'm guilty on this, too. Can't debate simply mean discussion?

I've learned a lot just from reading in the debate section even if I don't agree most of the time. But, I think we all like to be understood, to understand others, and to keep learning.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• IMO, it doesn't belong here if it's:
    prayer requests
    proselytizing (huh, if you typo that word, autocorrect suggest prostitution. Just sayin)
    "lectures" about a certain religious belief with no question or purpose (someone used to post Catholic "lessons" in R&B for points)
    general discussions like did you go to church today, what was the sermon today, do kids at your church stay with the adults or spend it all in a nursery, etc

That can all go in R&B

Everything else, as long as it's presented as a jumping off point for discussion is fair game. Whether or not everyone is knowledgeable enough to contribute meaningfully is a whole different issue, and those who are not seem to the the ones who get the most upset.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Truthfully, I think people just say something doesn't belong in RD, or that it's a stupid question, because they have no better ideas to contribute.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• IMHO, any question about religion is valid here, even if it has hints of other topic like politics. Sometimes it is confusing where to post a question that may have multiple categories, but I think that as long as it includes a religious connotation, it belongs here.
    Whether it's offensive, that's a different discussion. I don't think offensive questions belong in any forum, not just this one. However, questioning another person's religion or asking for an explanation isn't necessarily offensive.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• IMO, any question, idea/concept, statement, etc. that pertains to religion (any religion) and the lack thereof (since they typically go hand in hand) and is debatable belongs here.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• In all honestly any thing can be turned into a RD question so in reality I don't see how one can dictate its not. For instance our president that would normally be politics however if you ask How does our current presidents religious standing impact our country? Poof there you religious and of course it has more then one side to it so it is also a debate.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• IMO, it doesn't belong here if it's:
    prayer requests

oh forgot these. I assumed that it has to be some thing able to be debated was a no brainer but just incase.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2013