What exactly am I, an atheist, "missing" about religion?

I mean, specifically what do you know about me and my beliefs, that you can declare that I am indeed "missing it"?
Please do enlighten me if you care to be so bold.
Especially since I was raised in the church.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• ballad, you mean like deedees reply? That sort of looking down on another?

Nobody has cornered the market on looking down on others. Christians do it, atheists do it--human beings unfortunately seem to do it by nature.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• so that would be a yes?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I do not look down on you for your beliefs sahmamax2. I just simply think your eyes are closed to what you are missing because you have closed your heart to God.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I just simply think your eyes are closed to what you are missing because you have closed your heart to God.
    ************************************
    oh right, of course.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I'm Buddhist. Let me lecture you on what you're missing................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................yeah, I got nothing.

What deedee seems unable to fathom is that people are fully capable of making their own choices that differ from hers and, ZOMG, lead happy, healthy fruitful lives. No healing necessary. No proverbial scales falling from eyes. No heart disease (I'm assuming that's what a hardened heart is)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• i know only what little you've put out on CM and even then i dont really know.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Why is that so offensive to you? Would you argue that your heart is not indeed closed to God, or even the concept of God?
    How then could you possibly understand the benefits of a relationship with God when you reject the concept of Him?
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• deedee, so do you think the OP closed her heart to God as a child that was being raised in the church? cause if she was raised in the church wouldnt she have been exposed to things before she could have chosen to close her heart? so then she chose to walk away even tho she had an open heart when she learned everything...

or are you just saying she's closed her heart b/c thats the only way you can justify that she doesnt "get it"?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Is your heart closed to unicorns, deedee? Do you know the benefits of having a relationship with unicorns? Or do you reject unicorns and the concept of Them?
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I think we are missing whatever that magical thing is that would make us be able to believe in such things.

Maybe it was given to some and not to others...not that there is any problem with that. Just different ways of seeing the world I guess
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2013