What exactly am I, an atheist, "missing" about religion?

I mean, specifically what do you know about me and my beliefs, that you can declare that I am indeed "missing it"?
Please do enlighten me if you care to be so bold.
Especially since I was raised in the church.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I will "miss" everything with you.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Deedee my heart isn't closed to anything. I actually take great care to have an open loving heart. Why it is put upon me to have that relationship with your god is beyond me though. If that god existed I believe it would make itself known to my heart.
    Goodness knows I was right there ripe for the taking my entire childhood.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• "Would you argue that your heart is not indeed closed to God"

How can her heart be closed to something she does not believe in? Again, you're applying your religious belief system to the OP where it isn't reasonable to do so.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Sahmamax2 I never said your heart was not loving or caring...only that it is closed to God (meaning you do not acknowledge a need for Him or desire a relationship with Him or even believe He exists). All I am saying is that there is no way of explaining to you what you are "missing" due to your nonrecognition of God. How can I explain what you are missing if you do not believe God exists? Anything I could possibly tell you about the benefits of my experience in my faith would mean nothing to you without knowing God exists.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I do not know anything about you except that you tell me you are an atheist.
    What are you missing? Nothing that you are looking for.
    For me, my faith is integral to who I am. It has nothing to do with you.
    It is very difficult to explain.
    If you lose your wisdom tooth chances are you will not mourn its loss or feel you are missing a tooth. Maybe way back somewhere burried but not really. That is how you feel about faith (or I surmise from your posts) Or if by some fluke you never developed them you would also probably not feel their loss.

Let's say that you are young and want to bear children. You find that you were born without a uterus or it was seriously deformed. No bearing children. It is a serious loss. TO YOU.
    A man is happy being a singular person. He has no ties and wants none. Does he experience the loss of not having children?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• What is loss for one is not loss for another.
    You miss the point because you are not interested in finding the point. That is not judgemental It just is. Have you ever tried to explain some higher mathmatics or science or mechanics to someone who doesn't understand the jargon, can not possibly visualize the concepts to put them together, or really understand how important it is because they can't undersatnd a word you are saying?

I think it is like that with faith. You have to work hard to learn and to observe and to be ready to see what pertains to your faith. When you get it, you get it and when you don't , it is not that you can't but that you are missing what the other person is seeing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Dardenella makes a good point. I've been told "Bacon!! You don't know what you're missing!" And actually yes, I don't know what I'm missing, but I also don't care what I'm missing because what I do have is much better than temporary pleasure. So I don't really care if someone says that. I understand that by their beliefs and priorities I may be missing a lot, but from my priorities, I'm not.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• deedee3849--Why is that so offensive to you?  It is offensive that you consider yourself wise enough and holy enough to make that judgement FOR me.  You aren't.  Would you argue that your heart is not indeed closed to God, or even the concept of God?  I gave him 30 years to get it right.  He failed and I gave up faith in the unbelievable.  I was open to that crap for a long time.  How then could you possibly understand the benefits of a relationship with God when you reject the concept of Him?  I found no benefits in my one-sided "relationship" with god.  I was ignored for 30 years.  But certainly my experience would allow me to understand the "benefits" you might name...even if I thought them sad and wrong.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• What exactly am I, an atheist, "missing" about religion?  Sahm, as a fellow atheist and someone who knows you pretty well from cafemom...you aren't missing a damn thing!

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I just simply think your eyes are closed to what you are missing because you have closed your heart to God.

Do you really not understand how condescending that is and how unqualified you are to make that statement? In the eyes of your own faith, you're breaking the rules and trying to do God's work for him. He will be less than thrilled with your behavior, doubly so that you're doing it in his name.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2013