What exactly am I, an atheist, "missing" about religion?

I mean, specifically what do you know about me and my beliefs, that you can declare that I am indeed "missing it"?
Please do enlighten me if you care to be so bold.
Especially since I was raised in the church.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• hmm... deedee-

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• being raised Catholic,i had the basics,the Trinity,virgin Mary, heaven and hell.... I also felt I was missing out,listening to other kids talk who were different religions and  being taught more.  The best metaphor I can come up with is like learning about a butterfly,you ask what is is and get the simplest answer,a butterfly. If you are still interested you will ask more?? or research on your own,or else be happy witht the basic answer.It seems to me you got the basics but were not interested so you did not crave more  information.

RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 6:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Let me try it this way.
    I like to knit and quilt. I am interested and so I continue on hoping to learn more be better at it etc. I also do them a lot and so also talk about it to others and when they are looking for a hobby those are he first ones I list. They are not the only interests a person can have.
    At verious times I have had people say to me, "oh I can't XYZ" I will tell them that they can't, yet , because they really are not interested in doing it and that is just fine.But if and when they choose to they will be able to learn XYZ just fine.

I am sure you have found the same thing with people who do not understand why you work or SAH or go to the open market every Friday

If someone asked what am I missing to these people, they would be hard pressed to really explain why knitting and not crocheting etc.
    It isn't a lack in the person who is "missing the point" it is just that they can not see it through
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• thats all fine and good dardenella....however you are completely ignoring the aspect of those that have tried to "crochet or knit". Those that were surrounded by it for many, many years of their lives, and still came to the conclusion that it wasn't for them.
    Are you implying they aren't trying hard enough?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Actually, I've been around for a while tnm. I was much more active before the "credit system". A few of you I remember from years ago when I frequented this forum way back when beeky was here. It's been years since I was a regular but I see it's the same debate over and over and over and over again. I believe that's why I stopped coming.It just felt pointless after a while.

I can appreciate learning about others and challenging my own beliefs but it seems that many here don't actually want to hear what Christians have to say or why we believe what we believe. When we share what we believe, or share scripture citing what we believe we get blasted from the get go, mocked, made fun of, ganged up on & on some posts people even intentionally mock God and joke about Him. I'm going back to my happy place!

deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Have you ever tried studying something but did not get it. Then maybe years later something clicks into place? It can also be like that.
    I can't sit in your head and tellyou what it is you think of feel as I said it is a personal choice. You either want to make it or you don't. It is simply two sides of a coin. If you were a part of a religious group before did you really get it or were you just there and just hearing?
    I have done that. I have been in Mass and felt like I got nothing out of it be cause I myself was not in the equasion. I was miles away.
    This is not again a criticism but an observation.
    Why are you an atheist?
    Why are you a jew?
    We are you a catholic? etc.
    The answer is the same. Because that is the way we like it.
    Ask what is each of the groups missing that the other has.
    answer nothing. Why because we each like what we have. We are not missing anything.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• If you are wanting to know the difference in the experience of my faith to you to Sharons to NP to the priest down the street (what are we missing) thae answer is inexplanable because we each experience things differently. I veiw the world differently that NP does. My priest and I do not agree on many things. A religion has fundamental prncipals that are strong within that group and the individual makes it a presonal experience. It is not up to the god or other to prove it to you It is you that proves it to yourself. It is up to you to decide that what information, proof, feelings are true and real for you. You invest the time and effort into what you believe. You might say you blood sweat and tears. You seek answers to YOUR questions and you find them where you will. Maybe that is not where you first began but that has nothing to do with what you believe now.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Deedee's heart is closed to Allah, I suspect, as well as to Zeus, Odin, Buddha, Shiva, and thousands of other icons and deities of other religious and spiritual beliefs. Shame on you, deedee, for closing your heart to all of them. All they want is for you to love and honor them, and they will show you the beauty, depth and salvation of their religions.

OP, all you need is the FSM.  Remember:  He boiled for  your sins.  RAmen.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I am a lapsed catholic moving towards Buddhism I think you have your own belief you need not be taught by me. I think in the end we can all be who we are accept others for whom they are and whom they choose to believe or not.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2013