What exactly am I, an atheist, "missing" about religion?

I mean, specifically what do you know about me and my beliefs, that you can declare that I am indeed "missing it"?
Please do enlighten me if you care to be so bold.
Especially since I was raised in the church.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• When we share what we believe, or share scripture citing what we believe we get blasted from the get go, mocked, made fun of, ganged up on & on some posts people even intentionally mock God and joke about Him

this is a typical reaction when your "debate" tactics are telling people that they are closed off to your god. 

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:38 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

**********
    We haven't seen that kind of response in awhile, reminds me of the good ol days in here ; )

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• If you don't feel that you are missing anything who is anyone to tell you that you are? whatever works for you love......

Answer by older at 1:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Have you ever tried studying something but did not get it. Then maybe years later something clicks into place? It can also be like that.
    I can't sit in your head and tellyou what it is you think of feel as I said it is a personal choice. You either want to make it or you don't.

But that works both ways. In Europe until recently, all students were required to learn knitting and crocheting in grade school - all of them, male and female. They all grew up in homes where they were surrounded by it. Some kept it up after they were required to do it, others stopped as soon as they could. It was nothing to do with not "getting" it, it was a conscious choice "I do not like this, I get nothing out of it, I have better ways to spend my time". There's no missing "aha" moment, it's just an informed, educated decision.

The most condescending thing on earth is insisting those who choose no just haven't had it click yet.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• The most condescending thing on earth is insisting those who choose no just haven't had it click yet.
    *************************
    I totally agree.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Did somebody say you were missing it? I don't think you're really missing anything - you just haven't become convinced yet.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• *yet*

I'm sure it's bound to happen one of these days . . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• It is not condecensntion. Using NP's example Everyone had to learn and do the knitting untill a certain point in time. During all of that some learned the mechanics but they could never get the sollace or comfort or the joy or what ever out of doing it. That is what they are not getting. They are going through the motions but it just doest stirr something in the as say ppttery does. The knitter should be able to say I found my self in my knitting and the potter in his potting and each be able too see the beauty and effort of each. The knitter i may not understand how it feels to bring form and grace from wet clay, the danger of the kilm and the waiting. Neith "misses" anything because they are happy in what they are doing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• they could never get the sollace or comfort or the joy or what ever out of doing it. That is what they are not getting

Yes, it's condescending. Suggesting that someone is either willfully or ignorantly not "getting it" rather than acknowledging that some people get it just fine and don't need it. Because, if the issue is that someone just hasn't had it "click" yet, your'e basically saying every person on earth who practices a different denomination of your religion, a different religion, or no religion, is somehow less intelligent than you are. You (generic) need to accept the fact that not everyone needs what you need to survive. No different than some people who need others around them to bounce off of, while others need long stretches of solitude so they don't stab people. The extroverts aren't "not getting it yet" simply because they aren't introverts.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Suggesting someone doesn't "get it" or is "missing it" is like saying that somehow they are preventing it from happening on purpose. As if they are simply purposely denying it. It puts upon the person themselves the responsibility of something speaking to them spiritually when that is not possible.
    Instead of saying that that particular "something" just doesn't speak TO THEM, you(general) are suggesting they aren't seeking it enough.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2013