What exactly am I, an atheist, "missing" about religion?

I mean, specifically what do you know about me and my beliefs, that you can declare that I am indeed "missing it"?
Please do enlighten me if you care to be so bold.
Especially since I was raised in the church.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I did not tell you that you were missing anything or not getting anything. The question came from you. If I had told you that I am so sorry for you that you just refuse to understand etc. then yes it is condecending, in response to a question where those words are used in the question, no it is not.

NOT TO be mean but even though you your self may have not said that which i don't know if you have ive been gone a while, I have seen many many on here say that atheists are missing some thing. This question Im sure came more from curiosity about what they would believe OP is missing then the OP thinking she is missing some thing. So this is actually a very valid question
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Not when YOU ask what you are missing.

I did not tell you that you were missing anything or not getting anything. The question came from you. If I had told you that I am so sorry for you that you just refuse to understand etc. then yes it is condecending, in response to a question where those words are used in the question, no it is not.

The most condescending thing on earth is insisting those who choose no just haven't had it click yet.

So I guess when the non abrahamic based believers make comments like I do not lie to my children, or I thought lieing was one of your sins, or only someone who is uneducated/ idnorant would have a belief they are being condecending as well? Is that OK or will you also call them out? Even when their comments are in a question that is clearly aimed at those who do believe.?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• your not missing any thing hun... people who say you are are missing full brain compacity
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Which is exactly what I said. You are not missing anything because it is not something you want or choose for yourself.

The is a lot that I don't get. Some is frankly ignorance. I simply can not get excited over the innerworkings of a computer. I know people who do and talk computer as a foriegn language. I do not get it. It is not a condesention to be told that I just don't get it.

I do not Get the obsession with cars either and can barely tell one type from another. They start talking about all the bells and whistles etc. amd my mind shuts off. I can still change the oil on my own car and some "stuff" and used to do it all when cars were easier to work on but even then I did not get it. It isn't a bad thing it is just that you do not see things the way I see them.

If you are asking what you are missing then YOU are the one who is making the value judgement not the person you ask.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Suggesting someone doesn't "get it" or is "missing it" is like saying that somehow they are preventing it from happening on purpose. As if they are simply purposely denying it. It puts upon the person themselves the responsibility of something speaking to them spiritually when that is not possible.
    Instead of saying that that particular "something" just doesn't speak TO THEM, you(general) are suggesting they aren't seeking it enough.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• they could never get the sollace or comfort or the joy or what ever out of doing it. That is what they are not getting

Yes, it's condescending. Suggesting that someone is either willfully or ignorantly not "getting it" rather than acknowledging that some people get it just fine and don't need it. Because, if the issue is that someone just hasn't had it "click" yet, your'e basically saying every person on earth who practices a different denomination of your religion, a different religion, or no religion, is somehow less intelligent than you are. You (generic) need to accept the fact that not everyone needs what you need to survive. No different than some people who need others around them to bounce off of, while others need long stretches of solitude so they don't stab people. The extroverts aren't "not getting it yet" simply because they aren't introverts.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• It is not condecensntion. Using NP's example Everyone had to learn and do the knitting untill a certain point in time. During all of that some learned the mechanics but they could never get the sollace or comfort or the joy or what ever out of doing it. That is what they are not getting. They are going through the motions but it just doest stirr something in the as say ppttery does. The knitter should be able to say I found my self in my knitting and the potter in his potting and each be able too see the beauty and effort of each. The knitter i may not understand how it feels to bring form and grace from wet clay, the danger of the kilm and the waiting. Neith "misses" anything because they are happy in what they are doing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• *yet*

I'm sure it's bound to happen one of these days . . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Did somebody say you were missing it? I don't think you're really missing anything - you just haven't become convinced yet.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• The most condescending thing on earth is insisting those who choose no just haven't had it click yet.
    *************************
    I totally agree.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2013