What exactly am I, an atheist, "missing" about religion?

I mean, specifically what do you know about me and my beliefs, that you can declare that I am indeed "missing it"?
Please do enlighten me if you care to be so bold.
Especially since I was raised in the church.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Religious Debate

• 3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I say to each his own. For ME, life without my religion would be missing direction and meaning. But that's me.
    I would never presume that just because it's inspiring and uplifting for me it should be for everyone. We all find that in different ways.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• "Would you argue that your heart is not indeed closed to God"

How can her heart be closed to something she does not believe in? Again, you're applying your religious belief system to the OP where it isn't reasonable to do so.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I'm Buddhist. Let me lecture you on what you're missing................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................yeah, I got nothing.

What deedee seems unable to fathom is that people are fully capable of making their own choices that differ from hers and, ZOMG, lead happy, healthy fruitful lives. No healing necessary. No proverbial scales falling from eyes. No heart disease (I'm assuming that's what a hardened heart is)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• deedee, so do you think the OP closed her heart to God as a child that was being raised in the church? cause if she was raised in the church wouldnt she have been exposed to things before she could have chosen to close her heart? so then she chose to walk away even tho she had an open heart when she learned everything...

or are you just saying she's closed her heart b/c thats the only way you can justify that she doesnt "get it"?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Is your heart closed to unicorns, deedee? Do you know the benefits of having a relationship with unicorns? Or do you reject unicorns and the concept of Them?
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I just simply think your eyes are closed to what you are missing because you have closed your heart to God.

Do you really not understand how condescending that is and how unqualified you are to make that statement? In the eyes of your own faith, you're breaking the rules and trying to do God's work for him. He will be less than thrilled with your behavior, doubly so that you're doing it in his name.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• deedee3849--Why is that so offensive to you?  It is offensive that you consider yourself wise enough and holy enough to make that judgement FOR me.  You aren't.  Would you argue that your heart is not indeed closed to God, or even the concept of God?  I gave him 30 years to get it right.  He failed and I gave up faith in the unbelievable.  I was open to that crap for a long time.  How then could you possibly understand the benefits of a relationship with God when you reject the concept of Him?  I found no benefits in my one-sided "relationship" with god.  I was ignored for 30 years.  But certainly my experience would allow me to understand the "benefits" you might name...even if I thought them sad and wrong.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• What exactly am I, an atheist, "missing" about religion?  Sahm, as a fellow atheist and someone who knows you pretty well from cafemom...you aren't missing a damn thing!

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Deedee's heart is closed to Allah, I suspect, as well as to Zeus, Odin, Buddha, Shiva, and thousands of other icons and deities of other religious and spiritual beliefs. Shame on you, deedee, for closing your heart to all of them. All they want is for you to love and honor them, and they will show you the beauty, depth and salvation of their religions.

OP, all you need is the FSM.  Remember:  He boiled for  your sins.  RAmen.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2013