My 2 year old is moving towards reading.

We found out he already reads small words because he read the word HOT on a sign about pizza and BALL on a jar. He was going through his book the other day and spelled the words and then said them. The really new thing he just did a few days ago was point at the car door and spell DOOR then said it. It doesn't have the word anywhere on the car door. He points out letters on signs and then says what sounds they make while we drive down the road.

I guess the really interesting thing is that my little boy was speech regressive at a year old. He'll be 3 in 5 months and he just started using sentences like 2 months ago. So because he was regressive and then developed a speech delay they told us he was most likely autistic.

Should I call somebody about him reading because they've only ever gone over for us who to call if he's still behind? Do you think they will still give him services at 3 if he's reading or does he not need them anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• Google Hyperlexia

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Yes they should still provide services. Its not totally uncommon for kids with autism to read early. But just because he is high functioning in one area (reading), doesn't mean there aren't other areas that aren't quite up to speed, nor does it make him not autistic.

Answer by missanc at 3:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• If they are thinking autism, is he not getting early intervention? If so, then his thetapists should be able yo guide you on the best approach. If not, please look into it. The earlier you get on therapies, the better the outcome!

Answer by missanc at 7:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• That is great that he is reading and spelling at three. My neice did not do that till she was 5 but she also never had a lot of people to work with her on it all. I would call them and just tell them what you have noticed and see if maybe there is more you can do to help him progress in all levels. I dont know your little man but I am proud of him, I even have a tear in my eye. I love seeing kids grow up and do better.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 11:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2013