Are any of you active in Al Anon groups? Have you found it helpful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Health

• I have been to Al Anon. I went on my own trying to get help. I did not find it helpful. It felt like a group of smoking woman comiserating and accussing a choice that the other person in their lives has. I can remember one ladies story about her husband passinf out in a plate of spaghetti because he came home drunk again like every night and she laughed and pulled his head out so he wouldnt suffacate right in front of her kids. My mom told me that my father was an alcoholic when I was a baby and she threatened to live him if he didnt stop. I never ever saw my dad touch any alcohol in the last 40 years. My husband called then and I told him that I had went. I thought he would be devistated instead he said fine you can go and I told him no that it was misserable to go and Im not going to be 1 of thise woman. Shortly, after that incident I gave him an altamatem he has not drank since. My neighbor did the same. They divorced
    bridget57

Answer by bridget57 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I could not bring myself to call them because they are a religious organization. I wanted to stop drinking but did not want to be forced to accept God ....
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2013