Right time for a big girl bike?

Some friends gave me a big girl bike with training wheels for my nearly five-year-old daughter. Their little girl has outgrown it. How do I know when she's ready for it?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• DS started riding with training wheels when he was 4. If she wants to ride it, she is ready to ride it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My youngest is almost 5. She's ready for a big girl bike simply because she WANTS to ride it. It's got training wheels on it so I'm not worried. If she's anything like her mom she'll be tearing up the yard this summer on it.

If your's is scared then I'd just leave it there for her to get used to it. Part of it is also her size. If the bike is to big I wouldn't let her try it for awhile.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Is she interested in it? Have her try it. That's really the only way. My granddaughters were enjoying their bikes with training wheels around that age. Have fun!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My SO wanted to get my daughter a big girl bike for Christmas this year, she just turned 3. I said No! Around 5 is much better.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2013