Would you feel bad if congress received a paycut?

I consider myself bipartisan because I have probably voted equally democratic and republican over the years.  However Senator Pelosi needs a reality check.  How many people feel their paychecks reflect the dignity of the work they do?

~~~~~

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi is speaking out against a cut in congressional pay because she says it will undermine the dignity of their positions. "I think we should respect the work we do," Pelosi said. "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded." ("Dignity" is apparently a synonym for "fat paycheck.") Pelosi, whose husband, Paul, is a legit real-estate mogul, was quick to add that slicing her own paycheck wouldn’t "mean as much" as those senators who struggle to make ends meet on $174,000 per year. "We are obviously contemplating a sequester," Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer (D) said. "Obviously we are going to take a cut, like everybody else." [Source]

Link

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh, for the love of peanuts! The dignity of the work they do? Struggling to make ends meet on $174,000? I don't no whether to laugh or kick something.

No, most people's paychecks do not reflect the dignity of the work they do. Teachers, police officers, bus drivers, hardly. The exception might be overpaid sports professionals, some of whom have egoes that are inflated like that of Congresswoman Pelosi.

I'd like to see a pay cut that makes the senators feel the pinch the rest of us are feeling. They get premium healthcare for the rest of their lives, unlike most of us; even free mailing privileges, and ice and fresh flowers delivered to their offices daily. Ice and fresh flowers! The last time I got fresh flowers was five years ago when I had my gallbladder out.

Okay, I'll go make another cup of coffee now. Rant over. Grrr!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Oh HELL NO!! I don't feel bad not for one little moment. I say CUT IT and CUT IT NOW about $100,000 off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I don't think it would mean much for a pay cut. Many of these people have to support 2 separate households. Leaving family at home for long periods of time.
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 7:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Most people have no pension, they have to save for retirement on their own through 401-K or 403-B programs. They also get insider information for investments that are completely legal for them but would put the rest of us behind bars. They seem to be completely bipartisan when it comes to keeping their perks. It's good to know they can all agree on something.
    RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• n some parts of the USA, the eastern states,for example, $174,000. a year would be tough. The cost of living varies dependng on where you live. I would be thrilled to have $174,000. a year but in Connecticut for example, they would be pinching pennies.

~~~~~~~~~
    I understand what you are saying about salaries.  My main issue is the perks that congress members receive.  Even if a regular person,  of normal means, is elected to congress they seem to be a millionaire within a year.  The pensions they receive is out of step with most of America.  

RyansMom001

• Get it?

~~~~~~~
    I get it, these are Nancy Pelosi words not mine.
    RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I have no feelings, good or bad, about Congress getting a pay cut.
    But they are talking about FREEZING pay, not cutting it They get the same amount, no raises. Get it?
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I would not feel bad for them at all. Poor things - having to make it on $174,000 a year right now! How dare we suggest a pay cut when we are making it on $40,000 for a family of four!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Ooops, misread. 174,000 OR 179,000 would still be a significant pay raise for me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2013