Would you feel bad if congress received a paycut?

I consider myself bipartisan because I have probably voted equally democratic and republican over the years.  However Senator Pelosi needs a reality check.  How many people feel their paychecks reflect the dignity of the work they do?

~~~~~

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi is speaking out against a cut in congressional pay because she says it will undermine the dignity of their positions. "I think we should respect the work we do," Pelosi said. "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded." ("Dignity" is apparently a synonym for "fat paycheck.") Pelosi, whose husband, Paul, is a legit real-estate mogul, was quick to add that slicing her own paycheck wouldn’t "mean as much" as those senators who struggle to make ends meet on $174,000 per year. "We are obviously contemplating a sequester," Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer (D) said. "Obviously we are going to take a cut, like everybody else." [Source]

Link

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh, for the love of peanuts! The dignity of the work they do? Struggling to make ends meet on $174,000? I don't no whether to laugh or kick something.

No, most people's paychecks do not reflect the dignity of the work they do. Teachers, police officers, bus drivers, hardly. The exception might be overpaid sports professionals, some of whom have egoes that are inflated like that of Congresswoman Pelosi.

I'd like to see a pay cut that makes the senators feel the pinch the rest of us are feeling. They get premium healthcare for the rest of their lives, unlike most of us; even free mailing privileges, and ice and fresh flowers delivered to their offices daily. Ice and fresh flowers! The last time I got fresh flowers was five years ago when I had my gallbladder out.

Okay, I'll go make another cup of coffee now. Rant over. Grrr!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• No, I wouldn't feel bad. Some might have a hard time maintaining a place to stay in the DC area and their own residence but wouldn't that make them work harder? It wouldn't hurt Pelosi at all! What about all the struggling middle class and working class?
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I would feel as bad about Congress receiving less pay as I would about a child molester receiving castration.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• No it wouldn't bother me. People would have more respect for the people holding those positions if they did take a cut, and did the job bc they have a heart to serve the country, or to protect the constitution, etc. A lot of people work at jobs they love and feel called to, not for the money.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I would just feel so terrible. We should all make little signs for them so the can proclaim they re being persecuted or worse martyred.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Undermine the dignity of her position? That should be the LEAST of her concerns.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• No I would not care. I think they make too much anyway.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• those senators who struggle to make ends meet on $174,000 per year.

Yeah- if they are struggling on that then they are doing it WRONG. I manage to keep my family afloat on a little over 1/5 of that a year and manage to 'respect the work I do'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• and aren't they paid for LIFE?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Nope. I wouldn't feel bad. If they can't figure out how to do their jobs then they shouldn't have them. I'm tired of paying for shit that won't work. JMO.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013