Would you feel bad if congress received a paycut?

I consider myself bipartisan because I have probably voted equally democratic and republican over the years.  However Senator Pelosi needs a reality check.  How many people feel their paychecks reflect the dignity of the work they do?

~~~~~

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi is speaking out against a cut in congressional pay because she says it will undermine the dignity of their positions. "I think we should respect the work we do," Pelosi said. "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded." ("Dignity" is apparently a synonym for "fat paycheck.") Pelosi, whose husband, Paul, is a legit real-estate mogul, was quick to add that slicing her own paycheck wouldn’t "mean as much" as those senators who struggle to make ends meet on $174,000 per year. "We are obviously contemplating a sequester," Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer (D) said. "Obviously we are going to take a cut, like everybody else." [Source]

Link

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Hell no. The don't deserve a quarter of what they make.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• hahahaha! politicians have dignity?! and hell, respect the work they do...what work? i wish i got paid that much to sit around not reading bills and arguing a party line that is so ignorantly one-sided that nothing gets done. (thats on both sides).

what about those military men & women who need foodstamps to make ends meet? or police or firefighters or teachers? those occupations all have more dignity and deserve respect (in the form of money) for the hard work they do. shoot DH makes less than 1/5 of that and helps mentally ill adults regain their independence...sounds more worthy than freaking Congress' dumb asses.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• No, I wouldn't feel bad. Some might have a hard time maintaining a place to stay in the DC area and their own residence but wouldn't that make them work harder? It wouldn't hurt Pelosi at all! What about all the struggling middle class and working class?
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• No I would not care. I think they make too much anyway.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• and aren't they paid for LIFE?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• And who are we kidding? Like politicians have dignity. Every single one of them has gotten into office by smearing other candidates, taking special interest money and selling themselves to the highest bidder. Not exactly what I call dignified.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• you know that 174,000 a year would pay my rent for 16 years?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• She actually said "dignity" with a straight face?! They were just ranked right below cockroaches! Give me a break! What about the work the rest of us poor working slobs do day in & day out, without the benefits THEY have! They need to be paid on their performance, like so many are asking teachers to be paid. AND they need to pay the same percentage for their health care like the rest of us! I'm disgusted that they just don't get "it".
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• But do you maintain 2 residences (one in DC, one in their home district) and pay to travel between the 2? I suggest they maintain two smaller/more affordable residences then huh?

If I can do one on 1/5 the salary then they should be able to do 3 or 4 if need be.... and their travel is paid for by 'allowances' between .96 and 1.32 a mile- not their actual salary. LINK (page 5)

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• So did the pay cut I just receive because of the government cut backs undermine my position? If every other government employee is getting a pay cut, it is only right that congress get them as well. It is what it is, maybe they should figure out their budget crisis, plus their pay checks are ridiculous. Someone making $400,000 plus can't have a pay cut because it will "undermine their position", but someone making less than $30,000 needs one?!?!? How much fucking sense does that make?
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2013