Poop Question adult content

My LO is 2 1/2 and has an awful time going to the bathroom. He gets so constipated and ends up pooping this huge rock hard poops. Once time his bottom even got bruised and I was devestated, I felt so bad for him. We try to push him to drink lots of water, have tried prune juice but he doesn't like it. The two things that did work was manderain (spelt wrong) oranges and prune baby food in his milk bottle but he doesn't have many bottles anymore and he is sick of the oranges. I am going to consult with his doctor on the 26th but was wondering if you guys might have any suggestions. I was wondering if he would be able to take maybe a half of a metimucil tablet or something but I will wait for the doctor on that one.
Thanks for all suggestions.

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Kids' Health

• What does his diet consist of?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• He has a pretty good variety, nothing obviously binding one way or the other.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• He needs more fiber in his diet for sure. This can come form fruits veggies, whole grains like , oatmeal, bread, whole grain cereal or whole grain pasta. And I agree more water. I would also consider cutting his dairy intake at least some.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Poor boy. Poor you. I remember it well. If he has a very high fibre diet, reduce his fibre. If he doesn't have much fibre, you should try increasing it - wholegrain based foods (wholegrain pasta looks different but taste very similar, especially if you add a good pesto. Mine didn't notice), beans and pulses and peas and sweetcorn. If necessary, if you can get it in the US (I'm UK) then sneak some Syrup of Figs into some of his food (it's amazing). If he's sick of orange juice, try him with grape juice? Diluted too if he finds that too sickly or sweet.

It can take us a good while to adjust to sudden or big diet changes. So give that some thought too. Good luck. It's so distressing for you both I know.
    teasel

Answer by teasel at 4:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Have you tried plum juice? Other than a high fiber diet, with lots of water & good amounts of physical activities, you would have to ask the Dr. if he thinks the use of Miralax is necessary. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• He could be having too much milk and cheese.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2013