Phones at school in light of emergencies

This is the ongoing saga of someone I went to school with who has a teenage daughter. Daughter got in trouble for texting at school, all well and good, everyone agrees, bad thing, don't do it, take your detention. Here's the conflict - the dean of her school has decided the punishment ongoing is that she is not allowed to be in possession of her phone on school grounds, ever. Not at lunch, not before school, never. Any time she is caught with a phone in her hand, even if it's not on, she is disciplined, to the point where it's reached suspensions.

Here's her mom's view - the school regularly goes on lockdown. Not just due to sensationalist stuff like bomb threats, but due to the typical drug dealer/gangbanger type stuff that shows up at any school in a metro area these days. It has resulted in things like some schools being evacuated while others are on lock-down, and parents not being able to pin down where each of their kids are, or make arrangements for the high school age ones to watch the little ones.

If the phone is not on (at one point they suspended her for having a phone in her purse with a dead battery), should the school still have grounds to discipline for being in possession of it?

ETA: everyone seems focused on the rule breaking and ignoring what the rule actually is, which is the point of the question - is it a good idea to have that kind of rule to begin with, whether it's broken or not?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Is the issue with her having in her back pack or just in her hand. Because her not being allowed to have it in her hand but allowed to have it in her backpack- zipped up- sounds reasonable.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• She is not allowed to have one in her possession. It came up again today because she was looking for something in her purse and they saw her phone.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Well that seems a bit over the top... for being caught texting one time. I would say if it is off and in her purse/backpack and she is not screwing around with it that should be sufficient. What is it hurting by being turned off and on her person?

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I'm sure it was probably more than one time texting, she's a junior or senior by now, but even still, I can't see the justification for saying it can't be on her if she's not using it. FWIW, the mom has given her permission to have it even though the school says no and fights the school on it whenever it comes up. We keep telling her to take it to the school board.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• IF she continually violated her school's policy for cell phone use, then I'm sure it's written into their policy/procedures that at some point they lose the "privilege" of having their phone on school grounds. If there was a true emergency, she could use the school phone or a classmate's.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• At my job we are not allowed to have our phones in the building. Period. They are considered a distraction from our job and we can be written up and eventually fired for being caught with them in the building. You can be fired on the spot if you are caught with it on and in your hand. It is just how it is. That is the rule that has been set and I am stuck abiding by it. I hate it but that is life I guess. So if the school says no she can't have it because it has PROVEN to be a distraction and obvious temptation to her then I actually do agree with the schools choice. If she has been given multiple chances to have the phone with her and she has repeatedly decided to take it out anyway then her mom should be more concerned with her child's lack of common sense and respect for her teachers. Common sense says 'I need this phone for emergencies so I better not get caught playing with it'. JMHO
    Anonymous

• Well-- I think if she has multiple warning then the school may not be so out of line after all.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• She hasn't been caught playing with it, she's been caught by way of lunch monitor seeing it in her bag when she's getting something out, or teacher seeing the outline of it in a pocket.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• You said she was probably caught texting more than once. So I am saying if that is the case then the school did what they felt they had to do to keep her attention. Taking it away completely. She abused the privilege of having it with her...
    Anonymous

• If they can't see it, she won't be caught with it, correct? My daughter wasn't allowed phones either, but the only time she called or text me was in the bathroom...LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013