Phones at school in light of emergencies

This is the ongoing saga of someone I went to school with who has a teenage daughter. Daughter got in trouble for texting at school, all well and good, everyone agrees, bad thing, don't do it, take your detention. Here's the conflict - the dean of her school has decided the punishment ongoing is that she is not allowed to be in possession of her phone on school grounds, ever. Not at lunch, not before school, never. Any time she is caught with a phone in her hand, even if it's not on, she is disciplined, to the point where it's reached suspensions.

Here's her mom's view - the school regularly goes on lockdown. Not just due to sensationalist stuff like bomb threats, but due to the typical drug dealer/gangbanger type stuff that shows up at any school in a metro area these days. It has resulted in things like some schools being evacuated while others are on lock-down, and parents not being able to pin down where each of their kids are, or make arrangements for the high school age ones to watch the little ones.

If the phone is not on (at one point they suspended her for having a phone in her purse with a dead battery), should the school still have grounds to discipline for being in possession of it?

ETA: everyone seems focused on the rule breaking and ignoring what the rule actually is, which is the point of the question - is it a good idea to have that kind of rule to begin with, whether it's broken or not?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Okay so lets try a different angle here. How do you suggest they handle MULTIPLE phone violations to prevent disruption and distraction in the learning environment?
    Anonymous

• You said she was probably caught texting more than once. So I am saying if that is the case then the school did what they felt they had to do to keep her attention. Taking it away completely. She abused the privilege of having it with her...
    Anonymous

• IF she continually violated her school's policy for cell phone use, then I'm sure it's written into their policy/procedures that at some point they lose the "privilege" of having their phone on school grounds. If there was a true emergency, she could use the school phone or a classmate's.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• At my job we are not allowed to have our phones in the building. Period. They are considered a distraction from our job and we can be written up and eventually fired for being caught with them in the building. You can be fired on the spot if you are caught with it on and in your hand. It is just how it is. That is the rule that has been set and I am stuck abiding by it. I hate it but that is life I guess. So if the school says no she can't have it because it has PROVEN to be a distraction and obvious temptation to her then I actually do agree with the schools choice. If she has been given multiple chances to have the phone with her and she has repeatedly decided to take it out anyway then her mom should be more concerned with her child's lack of common sense and respect for her teachers. Common sense says 'I need this phone for emergencies so I better not get caught playing with it'. JMHO
    Anonymous

• If they can't see it, she won't be caught with it, correct? My daughter wasn't allowed phones either, but the only time she called or text me was in the bathroom...LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• The school has a rule of no cell phones. The girl broke the rule so now she can not be trusted. Whether it is in her hand or dead in her purse, she broke the rule so now she is paying the consequence for it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I think it is justified *if* she was warned several times the privilege would be lost. The school has phones as do many of other students if there was an emergency. I am sure not every kid in the school has one...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Too bad schools weren't as tough on bullying as they are on punishing someone for texting...
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• When a kid habitually talks in class, you don't tape their mouth shut for the rest of the year, you punish them when they talk.

This is true- but cell phone use is a much more controllable offense. I can understand why they would do this after multiple offences. Kinda like if you keep smacking the other kids in the face with the ball at gym- you can no longer use the ball. The ball is more controllable than the child. Now should it be a 'forever' ban...no... maybe start with a week and then increase it at each future offense...
    Anonymous

• Well-- I think if she has multiple warning then the school may not be so out of line after all.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2013