My 4 yo daughter loves the boys...normal?

so DD is always talking about the boys in her school and never about the girls...like she's only ever mentioned 1 girl on a regular basis. one of the boys is her best friend (or as much a best friend as a 4 year old can have) and she's told me that she wants to marry him someday. i thought it was cute b/c she's always been interested in what ppl do, like grown ups get married when they love each other or teenagers get to drive cars when they're 16. i've even talked to the little boys mom and he talks about my DD as much as she does about him. its cute, we joked about it, no big deal.

well today my DD came out of school holding hands with a different boy from her class. i later asked my DD who the new guy was and she told me his name and that he was her "new favorite boy". when i asked about the best friend boy she said "oh he's my friend, but not my favorite boy." i dont think anything inappropriate is going on or anything like that...i just wanna know if its normal for 4-5 year olds to be picking "favorites" like this.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 6:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• Normal, but still scary. Keep a close eye on that one mama! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Don't worry... just give it a few years, she will think they have cooties.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My daughter did not, but one girl in her preschool class was very preoccupied with one little boy, and he was very agreeable and seemed totally to like her, too. (Their moms joked & kind of rolled their eyes about their preoccupation, their plans to get married etc. And the way the little girl's birthday wishes etc. always had something to do with Tristan.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Normal. There was another mom at DS's preschool that encouraged it a little more than I'd prefer, but he had 2 "girlfriends" before kindergarten.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I think it's normal...and cute :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• my oldest was like that at that age too. she started going to a preschool around 4 and all the teachers she's had up until she started K this year told me that she only plays with the boys. she may still do it for all i know but im not sure because i dont communicate with her teacher very often unless it's about school work.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My son, 6, is the same way and has been since he was a baby. I remember when he was like 2 year olds he was throwing a tantrum because he didn't want to wait in line any longer to pick up a prescription. Mid tantrum a little girl around 5 or 6 walked by he stopped crying and started smiling the minutes he couldn't see her anymore he restarted the tantrum like she was never there.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My daughter plays with both boys and girls sometimes, but other times she says boys are yucky. When she does play with boys, it's because she prefers blocks and running around to Barbie and coloring. Could it be that your daughter likes "boy" activities better than "girl" ones?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My now 6th grade dd gravitated more towards boys when she was younger but I don't think boyfriends are cute at that stage so we only referred to them as friends. As she has gotten older she still has a lot of male friends but she has close girl friends too.

Answer by missanc at 7:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• If it isn't normal I am screwed. My 2 year old always seems to have preferred boys. I think it's because at our last base all of our friends had boys, and even here, most of our close friends have boys. She prefers to play with older boys (because our friend's sons are almost always older than her). Every time I drop her off at daycare I see her run to the boys to play, I don't think I have ever seen her play with the girls. I am sure she does, but whenever I drop her off and pick her up it's always boys. Plus when I drop her off all the boys scream "Sophia's here!!!", so it would seem all the boys like her too. I have only heard one girl get excited about Sophie walking in the door. I think it's because she plays more like a boy, she is kind of rough.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2013