Why is my 14 month old so cranky?

We weaned my 14 month old from breastfeeding a week ago now and starting from 5 PM on all he does is CRY unless he's eating dinner or being held or in his bath. He barely plays most nights now and even if he is right next to me while I fold clothes it isnt good enough. Tonight he cried and cried and cried until I was done what needed to be done and I could hold him and then he just went to sleep. (my husband tried to told him during that time- just wasn't good enough.)

He's no longer enjoyable to be around that time of night and I honestly cannot wait till he goes to bed, which is sad. I dont know what's wrong or what to do for him anymore....I am going out of my mind because obviously I am not always able to hold him.

I am 2 months pregnant now too and I dont know if he can sense that and it pissed off about it....but really I just dont know what to do anymore. I want my happy boy back.

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 7:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, he is probably teething, and if he was just weened he is probably angry about that. My son cries every night for at least an hour because we just weened him off bottles and he is pissed off about it. He thinks if he cries long enough, that we will give in and give him what he wants (the bottle).
    Your son is probably thinking if he cries loud enough for long enough you will give in. Don't. Trust me, giving in only makes it worse in the long run.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Did your OB tell you to wean? Many MANY women continue to breast feed through pregnancy and then continue to tandem feed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• You may have weaned him a little to quickly and he is having trouble adjusting. Have you replaced nursing with other one on one close time? rocking him with a snack? Snuggling into a blanket with a book?
    Anonymous

• i had not choice I am pregnant but he slept like crap... up every hour and a half. now hes up like twice a night and will sleep with me...but honestly breatfeeding him was the worst mistake I have ever made in my entire life. hes not attached to his father....only me so it is only me who can get him to sleep...sooth him....do everything for him. nursing was replaced with snuggles on the couch......
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Give him a pacifier.
    Anonymous

• It's the terrible twos. They come sooner than age 2. He probably does sense that things are changing but he will get back to normal. Sometimes you just have to let him cry it out. He has to learn how to self-soothe.
    amberraejones

Answer by amberraejones at 2:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• prolly the formula ur feeding him. prolly wants him gassie or have stomach ache..
    dancingthrulife

Answer by dancingthrulife at 2:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• i nursed though my 4th and 2nd prggo. eveveryone is fine u can can to.
    dancingthrulife

Answer by dancingthrulife at 2:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• wow... so many comments to continue breastfeeding. i hated it. I am glad to be done. i did it so fast because I was tired of being up 6-7 times at night and it fixed that issue real quick. my first was just never so crabby at tis age...lol

and forumla for a 14 month old?? he's on milk.
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2013