How do older teachers feel about the practice of people posting their class pictures on fb?

Friend of mine was just tagged in a grade school pic, and it's the usual little kids in current fashion, but you can't blame them, they didn't buy their own clothes. The teachers, otoh, there is no excuse for some of those decisions.

I have to wonder, especially when I see the ones that are 30 or 40 years old, and it was never a possibility that those faculty pics would ever be seen by anyone but students and their parents, do those teachers cringe now at their Princess Leia buns, Tammy Wynette bouffants and plaid Sears leisure suits being plastered across the net?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I don't think that's right without the parent or the (now adult's) permission. If I ever found one of mine, I wouldn't stop until it was gone. I feel very strongly about that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I think it's just one of those things people roll their eyes and shake their heads at... A resigned "why did we ever think that looked good?" Thing.... I posted this pic of my family yesterday. Yesterday was my parents 54th wedding anniversary. I was loving my moms glasses! Lol 

Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• At our school you sign a media release waiver at the beginning of each year allowing any pictures taken on school ground to be used as deemed reasonable by the school or other parents. Teachers keep track of who does and does not have a signed form.

Plus you just kind of have to expect parents will be posting these pics so... I think maybe it is wise to keep that in mind as you dress every day...
    Anonymous

• Plus you just kind of have to expect parents will be posting these pics so... I think maybe it is wise to keep that in mind as you dress every day...

That's true in 2013. In 1975...not so much
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My sister is a teacher of fifteen years, and she'd probably post them herself just for laughs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I worked for a company that had those media releases to. Unless you stated on there that you didn't want your photo make public, it could wind up anywhere. That's the first thing I did.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My family has made it clear they don't want any photos posted. I don't post pictures of my kids or their friends. That's why my profile here is covered in cat pics, because it's all that's left.  I wouldn't even think of posting someones picture without them approving of it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• If a teacher is old enough to have been teaching in the 70's, then she could probably care less if somebody posts it... She's probably laughing right along with everybody else.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Many of my grade school teachers were ancient even back then, so I'm pretty sure most of them are no longer with us. However, the "younger" teachers I had would probably get a good laugh at the fashions they wore back then. A couple of them had a great sense of humor, and I'm sure they'd get a kick out of seeing those old photos.

I definitely would not be laughing if I ever found the class pic where my mother forced me to wear fire engine red bell bottoms, blue and red striped shirt, and blue keds with my long hair in pig tails and all poofy and wavy from wearing it in braids for two days... scary stuff, man.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• My grade school gym teacher is on facebook - she's still teaching there, too, and her partner at one of the other original grade schools (they've built about a dozen more since I left). A lot of our generation students have her friended - but she has an out, gym teachers were never in the class pics. She had a few lemon yellow and bright orange track suits I bet she'd regret though.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2013