Public Schools and Outside Food

Today we brought in a pizza lunch for my son's kindergarten class and had planned for the children to eat it in the cafeteria. We discussed it with my son's teacher, principal, and sent a note home to the parents so that they wouldn't question why their child didn't eat hot lunch. The teacher and the principal didn't have a problem with it. So we get to the school and sign in it at the front desk and secretary informs us that they aren't allowed to eat the pizza in the cafeteria, but can have it in their classroom, they already eat breakfast every morning in the classroom, so no big deal. Well the kids still had to go through the lunch line and put in their student number I guess to track that all kids were given the days lunch option.

My question is this normal for schools to do that or is that a weird rule?

amandajoy21

Asked by amandajoy21 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've never heard if that. The days my kids ate in their classroom they never went down to the cafeteria.

Answer by missanc at 7:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Well the kids still had to go through the lunch line and put in their student number

i hope the parents that have to pay for lunches check their accounts...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Our school allows no outside food at all, unless it is pre packaged etc.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• There is probably some amount of tracking done as far as what percentage of the school is buying vs. bring food form home. This more than likely has something to do with food program funding.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• It's a weird rule. I guess it's a CYA thing. The school wouldn't want parents going ballistic because they thought their precious little lambs hadn't been fed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• It is very normal because of the lunch is a federal program. The school has to prove that they offered the students a hot lunch. There are also other rules pertaining to it but I am not familiar with all of them. I am surprised that the principal didn't mention it. Any time a parent wants to bring pizza at the school I work at, they normally encourage it at around 1:30-2, that way they can get lunch and have time for lunch to settle before they have pizza.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Our school has a lunch from home option so I guess that is what they used. Cause I just checked my son's account and the only charge is breakfast this morning.
    amandajoy21

Comment by amandajoy21 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Guess they are tracking the fo0oood intake
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I would think it has everything to do with funding.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• When my son's school has something like that where its a class party or pizza bought in, its all done in the classroom.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2013