Sciatic nerve pain intense! Please help

I've been getting more frequent sciatic nerve pinch like pains in my lower back on my right side. It gets to the point where I can't even walk and it even pinches if I'm just sitting and NOT moving. I'm 20 1/2 weeks along and I experienced some mild sciatic paid with my first pg but this is nothing like that, its 10x worse! Is there anything I can do to ease the pain? I'm afraid to know the answer, but I have to know, is it going to get worse the bigger I get? I'm not that big yet, but the pain has only been gradual until last night, meaning I'd get it if I stepped wrong once in a while. Last night I could barely walk to my bedroom to go to bed.

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 10:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2013 in Pregnancy

• There are some really nice yoga stretches that will help with this. Also, if you're not averse to acupuncture, it has been found to be very beneficial. Speak to your doctor about what he/she recommends
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Ask your doc for a PT referral... A PT can work with you and show you things that will work for your specific issue. As an Athletic Trainer I'm not comfortable treating during pregnancy or I'd just tell you some things to do... I have to defer this to a PT. I have seen the PT's help may woman with this issue. All you can do right now is ice and try to find a comfortable position to sit in.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• Go on youtube.com and type in sciatica exercises. Those can be helpful.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2013

• I agree with Crafty - ask for a referral to a physical therapist who knows how to work with pregnant ladies. Building core strength (even during pregnancy) and learning how to hold yourself (posture, etc.) can make a huge difference, but you want to make sure you do this right or it might get worse. I've been able to keep my sciatica from getting bad by doing some yoga and pregnancy weight and core exercises, but my pain was never really bad. Good luck!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• My godfather is a retired pt he was able to realign my hip which caused a massive amount of relief in both my pregnancies now. Def should see a pt
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 9:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I had the same issue and the doctor told me it was how baby was positioned in there. Eventually she moved and it went away. I dont know what you can do for it. Sorry I am no help
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2013