Can a child be considered to be on the autism spectrum without being considered to have either Aspergers, autistic disorder, or PDD-NOS?

Or do they have to be specifically categorized to one of those 3 regardless oh how severe/mild it is?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Kids' Health

• these mommas are asleep.
    best to ask again in the morning
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• For them to be considered on the spectrum they have to be diagnosed with in one of those three categories you mentioned. I do believe my son is on the spectrum but not in any of these categories, he has dyspraxia. It's not well understood by the schools so mostly I've had to try to help him on my own.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Well PDD-NOS ( pervasive developmental disorder- not otherwise specified)is the 'catch all' ASD diagnosis. It can range from severe to mild as far as Autism characteristics while not fitting any of the other specific Autism diagnosis.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2013