Should an almost 4yr old be able to read or write yet?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• some do but I do not find it common
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:41 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• What!? Yes, they should be ale to at least write their name, some numbers and alphabet.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Should they be able to read and write - as in is there something wrong if the kid can't? No. Emphatically NO! There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 3 or 4 year old who can't read or write!!! The responsible adults in their life should be teaching them about letters and words/books as well as number concepts and practicing motor skills involved in writing letters. But actual achievement at this age is widely variable. Of course, some kids are writing their names or "reading". Some kids are not. Both are normal and okay. As long as a kid gets the early exposure and encouragement (NOT pressure), when it finally clicks they usually just take off and catch up to the early birds. And keep in mind that people talk about "reading" as being anything from recognizing/memorizing words, actually sounding words out, or being able to read and COMPREHEND a sentence or story. Real reading involves understanding what you just read.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• It is not common, no.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• It will take some time but he will learn.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• No, many do not. Some kids are good at one thing, some at another. If he isn't reading a few letters or writing his name in another year, maybe ask his teacher about it, but I wouldn't worry.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I agree with Funlovin that they should at least recognize their name and most of the alphabet along with TRYING to write the letters. My ds is gonna be 4 next month and he can almost write his name all by himself, and he has a long one, Alexander! He gets confused with the N and sometimes puts an M instead but he has been doing awesome the last few weeks writing all the letters of the alphabet, and he's been reading them for about 9months already. I have seen a few kids in his class though that are still at the scribble stage and don't really make coherent letters yet. Just keep working with him and he'll get it :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• My son taught himself to read at age 4. He was reading the Magic Treehouse books a year later. He's now 9 and his handwriting is horrible still, but we're working on it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I really just depends on the 4 year old. There would have been NO WAY my daughter would have been able to read to 4. But, I started Kindergarten when I was 4 and was able to read simple sentences.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• really fun? my boy is smart but not as "quick" as my dd was with picking up things....he is no where near writing anything
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2013