My 7 yr old son was invited to a birthday party with his classmates at a public play place. I forgot about it until he reminded me it was today. We can't find the invite to RSVP. Would it be rude to just show up without calling. He will be heartbroken if he can't go but I feel embarrassed I didn't call.

blessed11x

Asked by blessed11x at 10:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it would be fine too but explain to your son about the possibility of not getting a goody bag/favor. Hopefully the mom makes extras for just this situation. enjoy!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Is there another parent you can call to get the number? I think it's always best if you let people know so they can count heads, and have enough goody bags etc. I wouldn't keep him from going, but I would apologize profusely to the mother if you can't call her ahead of time. And I definitely would take a nice gift.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I think it is fine, just be prepared to have to pay to get in there in case they only paid for x amount of kids and you are an extra.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• If it's a school mate then do you have the class phone directory? If not then just go & say you put the date on the calender & lost the invite. Not a big deal I'm sure. I had Parents bring siblings to my Sons Party that I didn't know were coming.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I think it's okay because from my experience many people don't call. Just apologize and bring a gift.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I think it's fine. Don't forget the gift! lol!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I'm glad you went. It might have been a problem if you were going to a private house, but at a public play place, that's different.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• So glad you went. The hard part is that you don't know how many RSVP'd, and how many will show up. I had that happen when my son was in 2st grade. About 5 people RSVP'd, and 12 showed up. I had a few extra goody bags, but not enough, and it cost me extra money, because I didn't pay for all of those children in a group price. But my son was happy to have the kids there. I would have appreciated an apology from some of the parents. I know things happen, but....

Anyway, glad your son had a great time, and the birthday child as well!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Thanks. I did just what you guys said. It seemed fine. Out of 25 classmates, only 7 showed so I think they were happy he was there. I apologized for losing the invite, and also bought a little nicer present than I usually do. My son had a blast too with all his friends!
    blessed11x

Comment by blessed11x (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• This days people only call if they can NOT go. Other wise they just show up. You are fine.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2013