Couples with different Religions?

Hi! Do you and your DH have the same or different religion? Is this a problem for you and your kids upbringing? (Different Christian dogmas are also included in this question).

MamaaSutra

Asked by MamaaSutra at 11:25 AM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Same. My religion is very important to me and I can't imagine not sharing it with the one person who is most important to me.

Answer by missanc at 11:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Different but similar. It's never been a problem for us but it was for his family. My DH has always been supportive of me and my faith because its important to me, I've always admired this about him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Different, but similar. Never a problem. Kids were raised in mine but then taught about the differences and we encouraged them to change if they wanted later on.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Well,  we are different races and different religions.  But we are not practicing our religions so it really does not matter.

Answer by louise2 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• My ex is Catholic and I was UCC

I would frequently forget the 'no meat on Fridays during Lent' thing and he would go ballistic, accusing me of trying to make him go to hell. But, he never offered to make dinner on Fridays nor would he remind me when I was planning menus.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• We're both atheists.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• My ex and I followed the same religion but had come to the religion differently. He was born to parents who followed the religion and he just followed what they did. I converted to the religion at 20 and studied and learned on my own so it caused issues on how we understood our religion.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I've never shared the same religious beliefs with anyone I've dated, or with my ex-husband. For the most part, however, most of the men that I've been with have been familiar with my beliefs and respected them. The most prominent of those relationships, the men were atheists.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I'm pagan and hubby is not. Honestly, religion is just not that important in our relationship. I have my beliefs and he has his and our son had his. None of the three were the same.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Different, and it's not an issue. We agreed when DS was born that it's his decision not ours, so we answer when he asks, but the rest will be up to him. He rejected it all on intellectual grounds when he was 5, though, and I doubt that will ever change. First time he heard the Noah's Ark story he came to me because he was confused - he didn't understand how the kid who told him about it could believe it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2013