Moving Beyond Nick JR

At what age did your kids start to outgrow children's TV and want to watch regular cartoons and shows like Power Puff Girls or Ninja Turtles instead of the educational stuff? What was your take on the change?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• About the time they started kindergarten. I was very careful about what and how much I let them watch though. I tended to watch with them so I could listen out for language/attitudes carried through the shows. My now 13 yo son really liked Ninja Turtles, but that's about the only thing we really watched that wasn't on Nick Jr, Disney channel or PBS except old tv shows I had liked (Bewitched, Cosby Show, etc). Even now at 11 and 13, they don't watch much tv except some shows we choose to watch together - we'll pick a reality show like Survivor or American Idol and watch a season together.

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I guess about 1st grade or so. It kind of started phasing out in Kindergarten through first grade. There were some Nick Jr shows they still watched through second and third grade, but probably more for sentimental reasons. At that point they didn't watch a lot of tv. Now they watch a few things on Cartoon Network and some Disney channel stuff. The only thing on Nick they watch is Legend of Korra.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Yup... kindergarten into first grade. It's the natural progression of things... as they grow their preferences are going to mature with them... no big deal.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2013