Potty training my 3 1/2 year old. OMG SOMEONE HELP!!!!!

I've tried everything from bribing to treats to charts to even toys. Nothing. works. I ask him all the time why he won't go to the bathroom on the potty? He says either he doesn't know or because babies poop in their diaper. Now I am pregnant and he knows there's a baby on the way but I don't know how to fix his wannabe baby fixation and get him to go to the bathroom in the potty. I was really hoping to have him potty trained by the time the baby came which is about when he turns 4. As its looking right now, I'm going to be buying diapers for both at that time. Anyone have any ideas that might help me? I've even tried letting him run around with no diaper and it does help but I don't like him running around naked. I'm at the end of my rope here! I NEED HELP!

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 1:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Throw away the diapers. Put him in underwear.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Try to get your DH involved more in this process so he can pee like a BIG boy in the "big toilet" on a stool....keep on it, don't give up, keep making him feel like a big boy etc. with daddy helping I thik will make a big difference make it sort of exciting in a way - hope this makes sense this worked for us we only use pull ups for night time and they never pee in them...my son is almost 4 and has been trained for almost a year he did start off in a potty but quickly stopped and wanted to pee in the "big toilet" lol - it is frustrating but don't give up and ask for daddy help in this.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• oh ya and when he does reward him some way...
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Stop & start again in a month or two. I poopy potty trained my Son right after I had my Daughter. He had been peeing in the pot for a while but pooping was another story. Then he suddenly did it on his own when I basically gave up. He saw that I was too busy with the baby to keep begging him so one day he pooped on the pot all by himself. He called me when he was done & I said yea right! Then I looked & he did it! We took him to Walgreen's that night to buy a toy as an award. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I refused to put diapers on my son. He knew how to go potty; he just didn't see the point if He could pee in his diaper. So just put him in underwear or do like I did just put shorts on him.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I agree it might be a good idea to take a break from this for a few weeks. You might want to Google 'Dr. Phil potty training'. He suggests using a doll to teach and have a potty party. Read up on it first. Also, our boys were interested in "doing it like dad does". .....use cheerios for target practice. You can also watch carefully for when he is going to poop and have a reading time while he sits on the potty. There are many approaches....pick one and stick to it. Be calm and matter of fact....no anger. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Could you try giving him stickers, and when he reaches five or ten or whatever, reward him with something that only big boys get. Make being a big boy more attractive than being a baby; he might be regressing because of the one on the way. Talk about what big boys get to do that babies don't--gobble down chicken nuggets, get on the rides at the carnival, draw with crayons, etc.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Don't push it. Ignore it and accept he may be in diapers a little longer. I know how much this sucks. But if you push you can make it so much worse. I agree about watching Dad go too. I put my kids on the toilet backwards so they faced the tank because they felt more secure. We never used potty seats on top of the toilet. We did do the sticker chart, treats and both were trained by 4. We started at 3.5 and not one time did we have an accident so it was worth the wait. I know people who put underwear on their kids and they'd go out and no sooner would they drive away and the kid would crap in their pants and poo and pee would be all over the car. Just don't ask for that headache.
    Anonymous